Margarita Key Lime Pie has the most delicious and tangy key lime filling spiked with tequila and set in a sweet ginger cookie crust.
Key lime pie is one of the most delicious pies around. It has a tangy flavor and a creamy texture. Do you love it as much as I do? This key lime pie has some tequila and orange liqueur in it. So we’ve turned it into a Margarita Key Lime Pie! The crust on this pie is unique and amazing too.
- flaked coconut
- ginger cookies
- unsalted butter
- key lime juice and zest
- orange liqueur
- sweetened condensed milk
- heavy whipping cream
- cut limes and sweetened whipped cream, for garnish
How to make Coconut-Ginger Pie Crust:
How to make Margarita Key Lime Pie:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Garnish, if desired, with cut limes and sweetened whipped cream.
Let your Margarita Key Lime Pie stand for 20 minutes before cutting.
About Key Limes:
Favorite Pie Recipes:
- Strawberry Lemon Buttermilk Pie
- Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Pie
- Raspberry Cream Pie
- Hoosier Pie
- Rocky Road Pie
Margarita Key Lime Pie
- ¾ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 18 whole ginger cookies, crumbled (1½ cups of crumbs)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- ¼ cup orange liqueur (such as Cointreau)
- ¼ cup tequila
- Two 14-ounce cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated key lime zest
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- lime rind curls and sweetened whipped cream
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, stir together the coconut, cookie crumbs and melted butter. Press the crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- In a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the eggs, lime juice, liqueur, sweetened condensed milk and tequila. Simmer and stir very often for 20 minutes or until the temperature reaches 165°F. Remove the pan from heat. Stir in the lime zest. Then let it cool completely.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the filling mixture until well-combined. Spoon the filling into the crust. Freeze the pie for 2 hours or until firm. Let stand for 20 minutes before cutting. Garnish, if desired, with lime rind curls and sweetened whipped cream.