This Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Balsamic- Caramelized Onions might be the best grilled cheese you’ve ever tasted!
I like ordinary grilled cheese, but this is no ordinary grilled cheese. This one incorporates caramelized onions flavored with balsamic vinegar and mushrooms that have been sautéed in white wine. You can use Jack or Havarti cheese in this recipe. White cheddar would be good too!
There’s the butter. A couple of spoonfuls of shredded Parmesan and freshly chopped rosemary added in too. This was a very good idea. It turns ordinary bread into something special.
Step one: spread that delicious butter on one side of the bread and place it butter-side-down into a skillet.
Step 2 and 3: Add a generous layer of cheese. Add the balsamic caramelized onions (I explain how to make them in the recipe below, but you’re basically going to slow sauté sliced onions in a little oil for about 30 minutes, then swoosh in some balsamic vinegar for even more flavor. You’ll want to eat them with a spoon (be strong).
Step 4: Add your sautéed mushrooms (again, explained in the recipe below. These are simply sautéed with oil, salt, pepper and a swoosh of white wine).
Step 5: Add another generous layer of cheese. Why two layers of cheese? You want the cheese to act as the glue on both sides to hold the goodies together. Plus, you can’t really use too much cheese in grilled cheese, can you??
Step 6: Slather another slice of bread with that good butter and place it butter-side-up.
Let the sandwich sizzle away. It’s best if you do this one in a nonstick skillet since you don’t want the cheese to stick to the pan. A lid placed on top helps the cheese melt.
Flip it and watch that fabulous melty cheese do its thing!
When it’s all nice and toasty on both sides, move it to a cutting board, let it rest for a couple of minutes, then slice in half.
Serve it up!
Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
BALSAMIC CARAMELIZED ONIONS:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- One 8-ounce package sliced mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup (½ stick) salted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 slices bread
- 4 ounces jack, havarti or white cheddar cheese, sliced
- Prepare the onions: Heat a nonstick skillet to medium; add oil, onions and salt. Sauté the onions over medium to medium-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring often, until the onions become soft and browned. Add the vinegar and swirl into the onions. Sauté until the liquid is absorbed/evaporated. Let cool.
- Prepare the mushrooms: Heat a nonstick skillet to medium; add oil, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Sauté the mushrooms over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often, until they are softened. Add the wine and sauté until the liquid is absorbed/evaporated. Let cool.
- Prepare the butter: Mix butter ingredients in a small dish.
- Assemble and grill the sandwich: (These are instructions for one sandwich, then repeat to make another): Spread butter on 2 slices of bread. Place the bread, butter-side-down, on a nonstick skillet. Top with a layer of cheese, then ½ of the onions, then ½ of the mushrooms. Add a second layer of cheese on top of the mushrooms. Add the 2nd slice of bread, butter-side-up, and set the pan over medium heat. Place a lid on top. Watch it closely. You want it just toasted and cheese beginning to melt before you flip it. Use a spatula to peek underneath, and adjust heat as needed. Flip and toast the other side. When properly toasted on both sides, remove to a plate, slice and eat. Repeat to make a second sandwich.