Paper Bag Oatmeal Cookies
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted (allow to cool slightly before adding)
- ¼ cup water
- Place oats and sugar into a large bowl. Sift the flour, soda and salt into the bowl, too and whisk together.
- Add the butter and water and mix together well.
- Form the dough mixture into a 1 inch diameter log. Wrap in plastic or foil. Chill thoroughly (overnight is best).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- When ready to bake, slice chilled log thinly. You will need a sharp knife, and you may want to warm your knife with hot water for easier cutting.
- Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet at least 2-inches apart (cookies spread considerably). Use parchment paper if you have it.
- Bake for 7 to 11 minutes until crisp and golden brown.
- Cut open a brown paper grocery bag and lay out on your counter turned inside out.
- Cool cookies slightly, then place them on the paper bag. The paper will absorb the extra butter and make cookies perfectly crisp!