This Pear Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette is a fantastic fall salad recipe.
I have plenty of fall salad recipes, and I even have a salad recipe with a cranberry vinaigrette. But this salad is just super simple and delicious. The salad itself is made of just four ingredients. And the cranberry vinaigrette has flavors of orange and balsamic vinegar in it too!
- whole berry cranberry sauce
- freshly squeezed orange juice
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- white sugar
- fresh ginger
- mixed greens
- blue cheese
- chopped, toasted walnuts
How to make Pear Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette:
This is a super simple salad recipe. Whisk together all of the vinaigrette ingredients. The vinaigrette can be made ahead of time, and refrigerate until ready to use (up to one week ahead).
When ready to serve, add the salad greens, pear, cheese and walnuts to a bowl. Add the desired amount of vinaigrette, and toss. You may not wish to use all of the vinaigrette. It depends on how heavily you like your salad dressed. Plate individual servings. Enjoy!
- Use any type of salad greens you’d like.
- Gorgonzola cheese or feta cheese can be substituted for the blue cheese.
- Use canned cranberry sauce or homemade.
- Try using apple in place of pear.
How to toast walnuts:
It’s easy to toast walnuts on the stove. In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat the walnuts until browned and fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 2 to 5 minutes.
Here are a few more recipes featuring walnuts that you might like to try:
- Walnut Meltaways
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Brownies
- 5-Minute Caramel Walnuts
- Honey Walnut Shrimp
- Chinese Chicken and Walnut Salad
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Pear, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
- ½ cup canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced and peeled fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 2 cups peeled and sliced pear or apple (about 2)
- ⅓ cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Place all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl or jar; stir well with a whisk.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- Place the greens in a large bowl. Add the pear/apple, cheese and walnuts. Spoon the desired amount of dressing over the top and toss.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, be sure to use a brand of cranberry sauce that is known to be GF, and substitute feta cheese for blue cheese.
- Prepare the vinaigrette up to one week ahead. Keep covered and refrigerated.
- If you're counting WW Points, be sure to use reduced fat blue cheese.