This Penne with Mushrooms, Tomato and Gorgonzola Cheese is a delicious pasta recipe!
This is a pasta with great flavor! Gorgonzola cheese isn’t a cheese that you typically see in a pasta recipe, but it adds so much. If you are a lover of blue cheese and gorgonzola, you will love it! You can also sub feta cheese, if you’d like. It’s not a super rich pasta recipe because there is no cream sauce. The pasta is tossed in a broth-based mixture of mushroom, tomato and spices with the addition of the cheese too.
- olive oil
- dried basil, thyme and oregano
- crushed red pepper
- chicken broth
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- penne pasta
- crumbled gorgonzola cheese
How to make Penne with Mushrooms, Tomato and Gorgonzola Cheese:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Spoon onto a serving platter and sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese. Season with salt and pepper, as needed. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Change it up!
If you would prefer to make this a cream sauce pasta recipe, substitute heavy whipping cream for the broth. I’d probably add more cream than broth, as needed. The addition of a splash of white wine would be great too. If you don’t care for mushrooms, try using zucchini instead.
The Best Penne Pasta Recipes:
- Baked Penne with Italian Sausage
- Three Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine
- Creamy Garlic Penne Pasta
- Penne with Roasted Vegetables and Goat Cheese
- Cheesy Baked Penne
Penne with Mushrooms, Tomato and Gorgonzola
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 ounces penne pasta, cooked and drained
- 12 ounces Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, basil, thyme, oregano and red pepper, mixing well. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender. Stir in the tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute. Add the broth and garlic and mix well. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the hot pasta with the mushroom mixture in a large bowl, tossing to mix. Spoon onto a serving platter and sprinkle with Gorgonzola cheese. Serve immediately.
- When cooking the pasta, use plenty of boiling water with a generous pinch of salt. Cook until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite (al dente). Drain quickly and add a small amount of butter or oil before serving. This helps the pasta stay moist, and it won't stick together.