Summer Squash with Cherry Tomatoes is the perfect summer side dish to serve with tonight’s dinner.
Simple recipes are best- especially in the summer! Who wants to slave over a hot stove when it’s hot outside and in your house too? Not me. This recipe for summer squash with cherry tomatoes is a simple sauté with fresh corn, roasted red pepper and fresh herbs. It’s the perfect side dish to eat with grilled chicken, burgers or barbecued ribs. They say you should eat the rainbow to have a healthy diet. Well, I’d say this recipe fits that bill.
- olive oil
- summer (yellow) squash
- roasted red pepper
- cherry tomatoes
- fresh corn
- fresh basil or fresh mint
- salt and pepper
How to make Summer Squash with Cherry Tomatoes:
Heat a little bit of olive oil in a large skillet, and sauté the yellow squash for just a few minutes until it’s lightly softened. Add in roasted red peppers, cherry tomatoes and fresh corn. You can add in a little chopped celery too, if you’d like. Sauté all of that for about 5 minutes. You don’t want to over-cook the veggies. They should be lightly cooked, and the tomatoes should be lightly blistered. Stir in fresh herbs, and season with salt and pepper just before serving.
- This recipe may be made with zucchini instead of summer squash.
- Fresh red bell pepper may be used in place of roasted red pepper.
- Any kind of cherry tomatoes may be used. Consider using the multi-colored cherry tomatoes for and even more beautiful side dish!
- Fresh corn is desirable, but you could substitute frozen corn if you had to.
- I prefer using fresh basil with summer squash and cherry tomatoes, but fresh mint gives it a nice flavor too.
Sometimes I like to add a little grated Parmesan cheese to the finished skillet of summer quash with cherry tomatoes. That’s completely optional, of course. This is the kind of side dish where no adornment is really needed. Enjoy!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Summer Squash with Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups sliced summer (yellow) squash
- ¼ cup diced roasted red pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (about one large ear of corn)
- ⅓ cup sliced celery (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in large skillet. Add the squash and sauté, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes over medium-high heat. Stir in the peppers, tomatoes, corn and celery (if using). Lower the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring frequently, for another 5 minutes. The vegetables should be barely cooked through and retain their texture.
- Stir in the herbs just before serving.