This recipe for Swiss Parmesan Halibut is a delicious way to serve up halibut.
When we’re craving fish at my house, we usually cook up tuna, mahi mahi or halibut. One of our favorite ways to make halibut is to use it to make halibut tacos! I know that some people may be hesitant to try making fish for dinner at home, but there is no need to be wary. Just follow recipe instructions, and you are likely to have success (and a good fish dinner!)
- smoked Swiss cheese
- low fat sour cream
- fat free plain yogurt
- green onions
- Parmesan cheese
Do you have to rinse halibut before cooking?
Yes! It’s always a good idea to rinse any type of fish you’re using before cooking. Just run it briefly under cold water, and then pat it dry with paper towels.
How to make Swiss Parmesan Halibut:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. You will need a 13×9-inch baking dish for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray your baking dish with nonstick spray.
Place the halibut in the baking dish. Sprinkle it with salt.
In a small bowl, combine the Swiss cheese, sour cream, yogurt and green onion. Spread this mixture on top of your halibut fillets. Then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 12 to15 minutes, until the halibut is cooked through.
How do you cook halibut without drying it out?
Keep an eye on it! Halibut should flake away easily with a fork when it is done cooking. Don’t keep it in the oven too long, or it will dry out.
What do you eat halibut with?
Halibut can be served with just about anything. I recommend serving this Swiss Parmesan Halibut with steamed asparagus and lemon-herb roasted new potatoes.
This tender fish is so delicious with this cheesy, creamy sauce baked on top. Enjoy!
Here are a few more halibut recipes you might enjoy:
- Pecan Encrusted Halibut
- Prosciutto Roasted Halibut with Fresh Thyme
- Grilled Halibut with Garlic- Cilantro Sauce
- Grilled Halibut with Lemon- Caper Vinaigrette
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Swiss Parmesan Halibut
- 1½ pounds 1-inch thick halibut steaks or fillets, skin removed- sliced into 6 portions
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup shredded smoked Swiss cheese
- ¼ cup low fat sour cream
- ¼ cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions, divided
- ⅛ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the halibut and pat dry with paper towels; place into a greased 13x9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the halibut with salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the Swiss cheese, sour cream, yogurt and 2 tablespoons green onion. Spread the sour cream mixture evenly over the halibut; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the halibut flakes with a fork; sprinkle with the remaining green onion.