There’s not much I love more than rich and buttery scones, but this version of Whole Wheat Cranberry Scones is a nice, healthy alternative when the craving strikes.
Whole Wheat Cranberry Scones
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:20 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (through salt). Cut in butter with pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly (or use your clean fingers to work it together). Add cranberries and orange rind and stir with a fork. Add egg and buttermilk and stir with a fork until the dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Gather dough into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Pat into a 7-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges with a knife dipped in flour. Do not separate the wedges.
- Bake until golden brown- about 20 minutes. Transfer to a baking rack to let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.
- Cut through wedges with serrated knife and serve.
- Nutrition Facts- Amount Per Serving of 1 scone
- Calories 299, Calories From Fat (11%) 33.98, Total Fat 3.75g, Sat Fat 1g, Cholesterol 27.36mg, Sodium 333.14mg, Potassium 126.11mg, Carbohydrates 62g, Dietary Fiber 4.26g, Sugar 7.80g, Net Carbs 57.57g, Protein 5g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per scone
- SmartPoints: 9, Points Plus: 8 Old Points Program: 5.5