This Whole Wheat Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread is made a bit healthier with additions of whole wheat flour and olive oil.
Normally, I direct everyone to my favorite pumpkin bread recipe that I bake all year long. But this recipe is good too. I love the healthy twists, it has great flavor, and it turns out so tender and moist and perfect. The pumpkin flavor is spot-on in this whole wheat olive oil pumpkin bread. Give it a try! You’ll probably want to double the recipe so you have an extra for the freezer (or for gifting!)
- whole wheat flour
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- ground nutmeg
- ground cinnamon
- ground allspice
- ground cloves
- white sugar
- unsweetened pumpkin purée
- extra virgin olive oil
How to make Whole Wheat Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Bake the pumpkin bread for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove the loaf to a rack to cool completely.
You can make this recipe using all purpose flour and no whole wheat flour. You should be okay to use all whole wheat flour instead. The olive oil should keep everything nice and moist either way!
Why use olive oil in quick bread recipes?
Olive oil can be used in place of vegetable or canola oil when making quick bread recipes like this pumpkin bread. It cuts down on “bad” cholesterol and saturated fat in your baking. Using olive oil will also ensure that your baked bread will turn out very moist and tender with a fluffy texture.
Pumpkin Bread Reviews:
This is the best pumpkin bread ever. It is so moist!
Wonderful recipe, thank you Lori! So easy, delicious and now my favourite go-to for pumpkin bread.
I froze the second loaf that I had made and just thawed it out today. It is as good as the day I made it.
The Best Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Pumpkin Fudge
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Doughnuts
- Pumpkin Biscuits
- Healthy Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Bars
Whole Wheat Olive Oil Pumpkin Bread
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices into a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs and water. Stir in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined (don't over mix).
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes, then remove the loaf to a rack to cool completely.