It’s great to eat comfort food that has manageable calories: Low Fat Sloppy Joes
The best thing about these Sloppy Joes is that my mushroom-adverse 9 year old gulps them down like there’s no tomorrow. He doesn’t detect the mushrooms… or the other vegetables for that matter! Our family thinks these are delicious.
Yield: 6 servings (3/4 cup meat + 1 bun)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Low Fat Sloppy Joes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 6 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and next 7 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in ketchup and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
- These are pretty good with a slice of sharp cheddar melted on top too. Add calories in!
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 3/4 cup meat + 1 bun) Calories: 279, Fat: 7.32g, Saturated Fat: 1.98g, Sugar: 17.17g, Fiber: 5.77g, Protein: 18.76g, Cholesterol: 41.47g, Carbohydrates: 37g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 6, Points Plus: 7, Old Points Program: 5