It’s great to eat comfort food that has manageable calories: Low Fat Sloppy Joes
The best thing about these Sloppy Joes is that my mushroom-adverse 9 year old gulps them down like there’s no tomorrow. He doesn’t detect the mushrooms… or the other vegetables for that matter! Our family thinks these are delicious.
Low Fat Sloppy Joes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 6 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and next 7 ingredients; sauté 5 minutes or until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in ketchup and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
- These are pretty good with a slice of sharp cheddar melted on top too. Add calories in!
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 3/4 cup meat + 1 bun) Calories: 279, Fat: 7.32g, Saturated Fat: 1.98g, Sugar: 17.17g, Fiber: 5.77g, Protein: 18.76g, Cholesterol: 41.47g, Carbohydrates: 37g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 6, Points Plus: 7, Old Points Program: 5