Layered Berry Trifle

This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Layered Berry Trifle

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Prep Time: 25 min

Cook Time: 2 min

Layered Berry Trifle

A simple trifle recipe with layered berries, cake and a sweetened whipped cream...

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup water

12 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (store bought ok)
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 cups fresh blueberries
3 cups fresh strawberries

1. Prepare lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.

2. Slice cake into 3/4-inch slices. Then brush over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.

3. Beat cream cheese with sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium and slowly add cream. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft whipped cream.

4. Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 qt. size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spread to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the blueberries and strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.

5. Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.

*For a lower fat version, try fat-free pound cake and reduced-fat cream cheese.
*Try substituting raspberries for strawberries, or use all strawberries, or get creative with your berries!

9 Responses to “Layered Berry Trifle”

1. postedAug 25, 2010 6:35 AM

Oooh now this does look GOOD!

2. postedSep 1, 2011 8:46 AM
    Sally Grant

My Grandaughter made this Trifle and it was melt in your mouth delicious and beautiful.

3. postedJun 30, 2012 7:10 AM

I love this and have made it a few times, unfortunately I find that there isn’t enough of the cream so I have to double it every time.

• July 1st, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Good tip- I often like more of it too!

4. postedNov 25, 2012 12:55 AM

Made it yesterday and it was a hit – great recipe! I doubled the cream as well.

5. postedFeb 25, 2013 6:33 PM

Was a hit tonight, I used a store bought strawberry studel that I thought was rather dry, and I also used Strawberry cream cheese. and doubled the cream mix. Really went over great

6. postedMar 25, 2013 1:38 PM

I’ve made this triffle multiple times. It’s always a hit, however I thought the cream was a tad bit too salty. A read a review where the reviewer mentioned she used strawberry cream cheese. I tried that and thought it was to sweet. The last time i made it with one container of regular and one container of strawberry cream cheese (since I always double the cream anyway) and it was PERFECT! It’s always the first desert to go at get togethers but this time I got more compliment then ever!
    Also make sure you beat the cream on high for a while before adding the heavy cream, then continue beating until its really nice and thick. The first few times i was scared of over beating like regular whipped cream so it didnt really get as thick as i would like but it wont happend with the cream cheese so beat away. If you beat it enough, it gets really nice and airy but still thick and flavorful. PERFECT!

7. postedMay 27, 2013 5:24 PM

I made this for Memorial Day because of the colors. As I was making it, I was not so sure, but I have to tell everyone….it was the best dessert on the table. Everyone was raving about it. This is definitely a keeper. I can’t wait to make it again with a variety of berries and double the cream. The pound cake with the lemon was amazing! Thanks for sharing!

8. postedJun 1, 2014 10:43 AM

I made this amazing dessert for a Memorial Day BBQ and there was not a drop left!!! So easy and everyone loved it. I made it again today for another BBQ but realized I was out of whipping cream so I substituted for half and half and it was great. Thank you for the great recipe!