1½ cups 2% lowfat milk, divided
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
3 large eggs
1½ tsp peppermint extract (or to taste)
½ cup chocolate chips, chopped
1. Beat eggs with sugar until pale, yellow and foamy.
2. Heat 1 cup of milk slowly until it reaches a simmer. Gradually beat in milk with egg mixture. Return to heat.
3. Heat slowly, while stirring, until mixture slightly thickens (coats the back of a spoon). Be careful… don’t heat too quickly or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs!
4. Strain egg mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl. Mix in condensed milk, remaining ½ cup milk, and peppermint extract.
5. Refrigerate mixture until completely chilled- at least 8 hours.
6. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. When slightly thickened, add chocolate chips. Freeze until ready to serve.
Yield: 1 quart
Recipe Source: “JJSooner” CLBB
*Be sure to use peppermint extract and not spearmint.
**As with all ice cream recipes, they will turn out best if the base is thoroughly chilled (at least 8 hours), and if the insert is completely frozen (24 hours or more).
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]
“This is my husband’s favorite type of ice cream. He loved this homemade version too!”
-San Diego, CA