Chocolate Chip- Pumpkin Spice Bars

This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Bars

Yield: 42 bars

Prep Time: 25 min

Cook Time: 25 min

Chocolate Chip- Pumpkin Spice Bars

This recipe feeds a small crowd... a small, crowd of pumpkin spice bar lovers...

1 3/4 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
3/4 cup mini- chocolate chips

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
4 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar, measured then sifted
1/2 cup mini- chocolate chips (for topping)

1. Prepare batter: Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 10x15-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, oil, eggs and sugars until combined.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves. Toss in mini chocolate chips and stir to combine. Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir until moistened.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan coated with nonstick spray. Bake until the center springs back when lightly pressed in the center- about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and place on wire rack to cool completely.

5. Prepare frosting: In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and mix until smooth. Frost bars and sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips.

Source: (Adapted from Betty Crocker )

14 Responses to “Chocolate Chip- Pumpkin Spice Bars”

1. postedSep 17, 2009 5:47 AM

thank you for your heavenly recipes. I stumbled upon via blogger. Glad I did!

2. postedSep 25, 2009 2:35 PM

I love your recipes. They all look so good.

3. postedOct 2, 2009 3:30 AM
  4. postedOct 2, 2009 2:46 PM

I loved this recipe! I actually liked the bars better warm, without the frosting. The frosting also made a lot more than I needed, I only ended up using 1/2 the frosting. Great fall recipe.

5. postedOct 28, 2009 5:55 PM

Cannot think of anything better than pumpkin and chocolate! I can’t wait to bake this, along with all of those other fun treats on your blog for halloween!

6. postedNov 12, 2009 8:48 AM

Just made these, I found you through SMS Handmade Holidays. I actually had to substitute some sweet potato for the pumpkin as I use fresh pumpkin I’ve canned and frozen and only had about a cup thawed and ready to go. So I mixed in some leftover mashed sweet potatoes from supper the other night and the batter tasted great! They are cooling now, but I can’t wait to frost them up and eat one!

7. postedNov 28, 2010 8:47 AM

I made these for Thanksgiving and they were a huge hit! For the frosting I used 2 tablespoons of milk instead of 2 teaspoons; also reduced the confectioner’s sugar to 3 cups. I couldn’t find a 10×15 pan so used a 10×17 lasagne pan and cooked it for the minimum time suggested. Came out very moist and flavorful.

8. postedAug 15, 2011 9:48 AM

I’ve made a recipe very similar to this and had a cinnamon/sugar topping, mmmmm. Now I need to try it this way, with frosting!

9. postedNov 10, 2011 5:41 PM

Sorry to be dense, but when you call for a 10×15 pan, do you mean like a jelly-roll pan or like a 9×13, but bigger? I was going to make these tonight, but I’m not sure what to cook them in. I have a jelly roll pan, but not one with deep sides.

• November 10th, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

Yes, a jelly-roll pan. 1-inch sides work well.

10. postedNov 11, 2011 7:04 PM

Hi! I think this recipe looks amazing! I would love to try it, however I have not seen whole wheat pastry flour in my local stores – is whole wheat flour the same/an acceptable substitute? Thank you!!

11. postedSep 17, 2015 12:20 PM

OMGosh, this looks fantastic! Since I do desserts for the family gathering this sounds like a great way to use the traditional pumpkin in a slightly different way. 2 questions – can white flour be used without any wheat flour at all and can I puree the canned pumpkin from the store?

• September 23rd, 2015 @ 8:19 AM