This recipe for Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Bars is a good recipe to make if you’re on the hunt for a fall dessert to feed a small crowd!
The first time I made these, I brought them to a teacher’s luncheon at my son’s elementary school. It was the perfect dessert to bring for a teacher lunch because there are loads of teachers, and this recipe makes a lot!
You’ll want to use a fork to consume these Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Bars. You can see from the photo that they’re really rather more like a cakey-bar than a hold-in-your-hand-and-firmly-grasp-it kind of bar. But you can also tell from the photo that these are incredibly moist (happily so).
Cream cheese frosting tops these bars along with those darling little mini chocolate chips. The chocolate chips are also spotted throughout the cakey bars, adding a subtle chocolate flavor.
The teachers at my son’s school were so happy with this fall treat. Despite the fact that the treat came equipped with a little sign announcing its name, the teachers thanked me for the delicious carrot cake I brought them. I suppose it’s reminiscent of carrot cake in its appearance with the cream cheese frosting and similar spice additions, but you can definitely detect the pumpkin flavor without difficulty!
Hope you enjoy these delicious Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Bars. They’re a delicious dessert to make during the fall months!
If you’re looking for more fall desserts, you might also enjoy my Cran-Apple Raspberry Bars and this Pumpkin Cheesecake. Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake, Pumpkin Delight, and Autumn Spice Cake are good fall dessert choices too!
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Spice Bars
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, measured then sifted
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, for sprinkling on top
PREPARE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 10x15-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, oil, eggs and sugars until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves. Toss in the mini chocolate chips and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until moistened.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the center springs back when lightly pressed in the center- 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
PREPARE THE FROSTING:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, milk and vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, and mix until smooth. Frost the bars and sprinkle with additional mini chocolate chips.