Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Yam and Pecan Salad
1 pound of yams, unpeeled but well- scrubbed
1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into thick strips
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of ground cumin seed
1/3 cup pecan halves
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup thinly slivered red onion
a few sprigs of coriander or cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray, or line with parchment.
2. In a large saucepan, cover yams with plenty of water and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, then drain. Cut yams into rounds 1/2- inch- thick.
3. In prepared baking dish, arrange the sliced yams and red pepper strips in a single layer. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until the yams are easily pierced with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Add mustard seeds, cayenne, cinnamon and cumin; stir fry for 2 minutes, or until spices begin to pop. Add the pecans; stir- fry for 2 minutes until the nuts have browned a little on both sides (don't burn them). Remove from heat and reserve spices in pan.
5. Remove yams and red peppers from the oven. Using a spatula, carefully transfer them onto a serving plate, making a single layer.
6. Drizzle lime juice and sesame oil over the yams and sprinkle with salt. Scatter slivers of red onion on top. Using a spoon and a rubber spatula, scrape contents of the frying pan (pecans, oil and spices) evenly over the yams. Let salad rest for 10 to 15 minutes, then garnish with the chopped cilantro and serve.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (recipe given to me, unknown original source)