Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise

It’s that time of year that I begin to feel like entertaining more. The weather is warmer, the ingredients are fresher, and the desire to invite people over to share in a meal is inescapable. My husband flips on the fountains in the courtyards, selects outdoor mood music, hoses down the outdoor patio furniture and fires up the grill. I agonize about the menu and spend the day preparing everything so that I can enjoy time with our guests when they arrive.

On one such beautiful day, we invited family over for dinner after my son’s Little League baseball game. We told them it was casual… just going to whip up some veggie burgers, fries and salad & asked them to head on over to our house after the game.

My Father-in-Law watched in amazement as I formed the burger patties with my hands. “What are you doing?” he asked. “I’m making veggie burgers,”  I said.  He just shook his head. He told me that he thought people just bought veggie burgers in the frozen food section. “Well today you’re going to have a real, live homemade veggie burger,” I said. He looked a little skeptical, but I promised him that all would be great.

I adapted 101 Cookbooks veggie burger to make Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise. Here’s the how-to of my creation:
burger11
The burgers are made with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) as a base. Eggs, salt, cilantro, onion, lemon zest, breadcrumbs and peas are also mixed in. They’re a little too delicate to put on a grill, unless you have a good grill grate that you can set them on. I made mine indoors, but I had my husband grill a bunch of veggies (bell peppers, portobello mushrooms and zucchini) outside- just cut the veggies in large chunks, tossed with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
burgers21
I also whipped up a batch of Cilantro Mayonnaise. It’s a fabulous condiment for sandwiches and burgers, and you won’t need any additional ketchup or mustard.
burgers31
We ate some of those grilled veggies on the side, but we also included them as a condiment for our burgers.
burgers41
A little melted muenster cheese on the veggie burger is perfect.
burgers51
Sprouts add crunch and fresh flavor.
burgers61
burgers71
And there it is! Piled high with goodies, this turned out to be one fantastic burger. My Father-in-Law’s skepticism turned to awe as he devoured is first homemade veggie burger. He turned to me and said, “You work so hard to prepare good food, but you know Lori, you’re really happiest when you’re in the kitchen.” I’ll never forget that he said that, and I really couldn’t agree more. Being in the kitchen definitely makes me happy :)

The recipe for Veggie Burgers can be found here:  Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise
I served them with oven-baked sweet potato fries (cut up sweet potatoes tossed with salt, pepper & olive oil and roasted in the oven) and this great salad: Avocado & Pine Nut Salad.

46 Responses to “Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise”

Kalyn — May 25, 2009 @ 5:24 AM

Sounds delicious! Of course the cilantro mayonnaise caught my eye!

Judy — May 25, 2009 @ 5:25 AM

Looks great Lori!!! I love all the toppings for the burger.

Lisa@The Cutting Edg — May 25, 2009 @ 6:10 AM

Those look delicious! What a great alternative to a big ole beef burger. Wonderful.

Dana — May 25, 2009 @ 6:22 AM

I’ve been veg for 22 years and have only made my own veg burgers once. They weren’t anything to write home about but these look divine! I love that you include the roasted vegetables on top, nice and hearty!

Elle — May 25, 2009 @ 6:29 AM

Lori, I was just asking around on Twitter last night for people’s fave veggie burgers. It’s fate! Will definitely try these, thank you!

HoneyB — May 25, 2009 @ 6:30 AM

It looks and sounds delicious. I love having a variety of veggie burger recipes around – and I am really liking the cilantro mayo. Will have to try it soon!

Happy Cook — May 25, 2009 @ 6:36 AM

Wow that burger looks really yumm.
    And i love the idea of mayo with cilantro.

Maria — May 25, 2009 @ 6:40 AM

I usually despise mayo, but this one actually looks good! I love veggie burgers, especially with added veggies! Enjoy your holiday!

Manggy — May 25, 2009 @ 6:43 AM

Aw, your father-in-law’s so sweet :) Anyway, I love veggie burgers. I know I might as well hand in my Y chromosome when I say this, but there are times I prefer them to beef burgers! :P Looks delicious! :)

Paula — May 25, 2009 @ 6:52 AM

Mmmm those burgers look so good I’d never miss the meat!!

Barbara — May 25, 2009 @ 6:56 AM

That’s an impressive burger!

snooky doodle — May 25, 2009 @ 6:58 AM

oh that just looks great. I prefer it to beef burgers :)

Leslie Green — May 25, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

Now that is one georgous veggie burger.

Lisa — May 25, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

They look delicious! I have been wanting to make my own and think I might try it this week.

Josie — May 25, 2009 @ 9:42 AM

This may be the kick in the pants that I needed to make my own vegetarian patties. Those look delicious!!

Lynn — May 25, 2009 @ 9:06 AM

What a beautiful burger. Waaaay better than something from a box in the frozen food aisle.

Mahesh — May 25, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

Nice photos, It looks delicious.

Aggie — May 25, 2009 @ 3:30 PM

What a sweet and thoughtful thing for your FIL to say…

And I’ll tell ya that veggie burger is calling my name. I am trying to have meatless nights at our house during the week, I would love to try these!! I love veggie burgers, and prefer the homemade ones over the frozen ones any day!!

bluespriite — May 25, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

It’s a very promising veggie burger.. we make a lot of them in India but potato is always the selected option :) chickpeas is a great option.

Nurit - 1 family. fr — May 25, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

This looks like one fantastic birger. I love the idea of Cilantro Mayonnaise (I LOVE cilantro). I had my first veggie burger only a few months ago! Can you believe it?! I cooked a black bean burger recipe from Gourmet. Was so easy and delicious.

Janet — May 25, 2009 @ 9:22 PM

Yum! Looks incredible! Cilantro is such a fav of mine, too!

grace — May 26, 2009 @ 3:30 AM

i hate mayo. i love cilantro. the question is, would i like cilantro mayo? it’s worth a shot, especially on a burger such as this.

Joan Nova — May 26, 2009 @ 4:10 AM

You could teach a class called How to Build a Better Burger! It just kept getting better with each photo. Makes me want to go and build one for myself — and I may just do that later today.

Jeff — May 26, 2009 @ 7:35 AM

Looks great and I can tell by google reader that spring is in full swing. Everything is burgery, lighter, and using fresh ingredients over the heavy wintery dishes.

LilSis — May 26, 2009 @ 8:19 AM

Now that is one amazing looking veggie burger! I’ve never made one from scratch, but will definitely give this recipe a try after seeing how great they turn out!

Lighting — May 26, 2009 @ 8:58 AM

I am a meat and potatoes guy all the way. But me and the wife tried these veggie burgers and they are awesome. Thanks for the healthier version on a american classic.

RobinSue — May 26, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

This looks like a great burger. I am always looking for a good veggie burger so I will have to try yours! I am glad to see the cilantro mayo- I love cilantro! I am entertaining more too and have had two parties this past week, one with 38 people and one with 30. Can I be done for a while?

Hannah — May 26, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

I’m always on the search for different veggie burgers to keep things interesting, and this one sounds like it’s definitely worth trying! I would just use pureed tofu instead of the egg. :)

nina — May 26, 2009 @ 10:40 AM

I bet your father-in-law was as speechless as I am now!! The veggies burgers looks delicious and I would my meat burger for this one anyday!!

jd — May 26, 2009 @ 12:32 PM

Those look terrific!

I saw them on 101 Cookbooks, also, but haven’t tried the recipe yet… It looks like you had great success – those veg burgers are gorgeous :)

Yum!

The Duo Dishes — May 26, 2009 @ 3:59 PM

That’s layer and layers of flavor right there.

Jenni — May 26, 2009 @ 4:43 PM

Oh, Lori! That’s making my mouth water, and I just ate! I love chickpeas–what a great base for a veggie burger. And cilantro mayonnaise? Fabulous:)

Adam — May 27, 2009 @ 3:51 AM

Wow, I love that roasted red pepper on that! I wouldn’t even miss the meat, and with those beans there’s plenty of protein too :) Nice job Lori. Love how you don’t need to much of a reason to have good people over :)

Jescel — May 27, 2009 @ 5:14 AM

wow.. this looks delish! i’m not a vegetarian, but i wouldn’t mind having a burger like this every now and then.

Rosie — May 27, 2009 @ 6:25 AM

I had veggie burgers yesterday but they didn’t look half as good as these ones! I am going to bookmark this :D Thanks for sharing.

gina — May 27, 2009 @ 8:10 AM

Yummy! I have to try this! : )

Debbie — May 27, 2009 @ 9:00 AM

Please send that burger over my way. What a great looking dish. Love the cilantro mayo!

kellypea — May 27, 2009 @ 1:48 PM

Clearly I’ve been out of the loop lately, but I’m wondering if you’re done with meat period. If so, then you’re off to a great start. This is quite the delectable veggie burger right down to the sprouts. Mmmmm… ;)

courtney — May 27, 2009 @ 4:37 PM

I love burgers like this. Better than that frozen stuff anyday.

Marie — May 27, 2009 @ 6:59 PM

Your FIL is right, and it shows so well in all your food Lori! This looks outstanding, all loaded up with veggie goodness!

Erica — May 28, 2009 @ 1:36 PM

Those are perfect for my vegetarian husband and I am the biggest fan of cilantro!!!!!!!

sharon — May 31, 2009 @ 4:21 PM

YUM! Embarrassingly, I’m addicted to frozen veggie burgers. I probably have 5 a week?! I should probably switch to fresh, dont ya think!

These look great and I’m bookmarking them for sure.

Katrina — June 13, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

Okay, so I’m a bit behind on some blog posts, but this veggie burger looks and sound de-lish!

Chez US — June 24, 2009 @ 1:24 PM

GREAT BURGER! Love these flavors! You might want to check out our ultimate burger contest and enter it – there is even a prize! http://www.chezus.com/2009/06/15/ultimate-hamburger/.

Monica — October 4, 2010 @ 12:58 AM

I made Heidi’s version of these last weekend. I liked them, but felt like they needed something – I really like your addition of peas to the mix. But I LOVE that you served them on a bun – just as nature intended. Beautiful photos!

Katie — January 14, 2012 @ 2:41 PM

The peas! They look so sweet in there, I love that addition. And I love anything with cilantro, so…I’m in.