Veggie Burgers topped with a fabulous cilantro mayonnaise are a great choice for dinner tonight!
With these veggie burgers, you won’t be missing the meat at all. These are meatless burger patties packed with goodies and topped with your favorite burger fixings- as many as you’d like! There’s also a really delicious, easy-to-make cilantro mayonnaise, which you’ll use instead of ketchup and mustard and that kind of stuff. The cilantro mayo makes these more like something you’d order in a restaurant. They’re so delicious!
How to make Veggie Burgers:
The cilantro mayo is a simple mix of mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, soy sauce and garlic. It’s combined and processed in a blender. It’s fabulous!
You’ll need a food processor to make the burgers. They’re a mix of canned chickpeas, eggs and salt. Your food processor will turn the chickpea mixture into a thick consistency that is similar to hummus. Then cilantro, onion, lemon zest, peas and bread crumbs are stirred in. The mixture is then formed into burger patties.
The burgers are then cooked in a skillet on the stove. They’ll cook for 7 to 10 minutes on each side. Add cheese to melt on top of your burgers, if you’d like.
How to make toasted bread crumbs:
You’ll need toasted bread crumbs for these veggie burgers. Here’s a good tip. Buy whole-grain buns for the burgers and just use a couple of them to grind in the food processor for the bread crumbs that you’ll need. Then spread the bread crumbs on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in a 300 degree oven until browned.
Suggested fixings for veggie burgers:
- roasted vegetables
- lettuce and tomato
- grilled onions
Pile your veggie burgers high with your favorite things. Eat them with or without cheese and with or without a bun. Enjoy!
Here are a few more burger recipes you might like to try:
- Teriyaki Burgers
- Jucy Lucy Burgers
- Bacon Burgers with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
- Turkey Garden Burgers
- Blue Cheese Burgers
- Quesadilla Burger
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
Veggie Burgers with Cilantro Mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 2½ cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- zest of one lemon
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup toasted whole grain bread crumbs (see Recipe Notes below)
- cooking spray or olive oil
- 6 slices cheese (optional)
- 6 burger buns
- desired toppings: sprouts, lettuce, tomato, grilling veggies, cheese, etc.
PREPARE THE CILANTRO MAYONNAISE:
- Combine all of the mayonnaise ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Scrape into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
PREPARE THE BURGERS:
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, eggs and salt. Puree until thick (the consistency of thick and chunky hummus is what you're looking for).
- Scrape into a medium bowl and stir in the cilantro, onion, lemon zest and peas. Add the breadcrumbs and then let sit for a few minutes so the mixture has a chance to moisten the breadcrumbs. The resulting mixture should be one that is moist enough to form into patties. If it's too dry, simply add a couple of tablespoons of water or egg, and if it's too wet just add a few more breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mixture into 6 parts and form into six burgers. You can prepare the burgers ahead of time to this point (place on a rimmed baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook).
- Spray cooking spray (or add olive oil) in a large skillet and heat to medium. Add 3 patties, cover and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Flip the patties and cook for another 7 minutes on the other side. Top with cheese at the end of cooking, if you wish! Repeat with the remaining three patties.
ASSEMBLE THE BURGERS:
- Toast the burger buns and add your favorite toppings.
- *Nutritional info. includes buns and mayo, but it does not include optional cheese or any additional fixings.
- *Buy whole-grain buns for the burgers and just use a couple of them to grind in the food processor for the crumbs that you'll need. Then spread them on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven until browned.