Beans and Cornbread (from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

Admittedly, I’m not a regular reader of The Pioneer Woman’s food blog. I’ve read it more than a handful of times, and I’ve been impressed with what I’ve seen, but I don’t read it daily. Clearly, Ree Drummond is witty and fun and her personality easily shines through in her writing. She is adored by thousands (maybe millions) and has put together a collection of favorite recipes in her new cookbook The Pioneer Woman Cooks.
Pioneer Woman Cookbook
I was lucky enough to see PW speak at the BlogHer conference in San Francisco recently, but since she was constantly surrounded by numerous eager fans, we didn’t have the chance to chat. Her cookbook arrived in the mail the other day, and I have to tell you that I opened it up and then I couldn’t put it down. It’s more than a cookbook… it’s the story of how she came to be The Pioneer Woman and the exciting life she lives in small-town Oklahoma with her Cattle-Rancher Husband and 4 kids. I couldn’t stop thinking about it… the romance of it all and the stories included with each recipe. I was mesmerized, and then devastated that I didn’t shove her fans out of the way to meet The Pioneer Woman myself at that conference.  And now I’d like to visit her food blog every day to see what she’s been up to.

My son has decided that he’d like to meet PW’s kids and see what life on a cattle ranch is like.  I’m not quite sure he could hack it, but I’d come hang out with The Pioneer Woman and help make some of her delicious-looking cinnamon rolls any day (and I do dishes)!

The majority of the recipes in her cookbook are easy-to-make, pure comfort food- perfect for filling the tummies of hard working ranchers. I let my son choose the recipe he’d like me to make. He chose: Beans and Cornbread.

LOTS of pictures will be included in today’s post in honor of PW (who sometimes includes upwards of 40 pictures in her blog posts). Pictoral step-by-step below…
Printable recipe HERE.
PW15
PW16
PW17
PW18
PW19
PW20
This was good ranch grub.  Nice for a cold day and delightfully filling.  The garnishes are a must, and I recommend hefty pinches of extra spices to jazz those beans up and make ’em tasty.

After reading through Ree’s cookbook, I eagerly popped onto Amazon and sent a copy to my cousin who left Hollywood to marry her cowboy and now lives in a tiny town in Missouri. There just must be something about those cowboys (and their Wranglers, as Ree mentions many times in her book).  Lucky girls, those cowboy wives!

This recipe can be found HERE.
Pioneer Woman’s cookbook can be purchased HERE.
The Pioneer Woman’s original blog post (from 2007) on Beans & Cornbread can be found HERE.

44 Responses to “Beans and Cornbread (from The Pioneer Woman Cooks)”

1. postedNov 5, 2009 2:49 AM

This is a wonderful tribute to a fellow foodie and blogger. Lovely pictures too!!!!

2. postedNov 5, 2009 3:42 AM

I can’t wait to make her cornbread! I am going to try the sheet cake today. :)

3. postedNov 5, 2009 3:56 AM

I LOVE Pioneer Woman!

4. postedNov 5, 2009 4:27 AM

Great post Lori and very nice tribute :) I don’t have the book yet, but she’s doing a book signing in a Chicago suburb on the 19th. It’s over an hour from here and on a weeknight. I really want to go, but not sure it’s feasible. Your photos are wonderful as usual :)

5. postedNov 5, 2009 5:57 AM

Love the dish and your homage to Pioneer Woman! I also enjoy reading Ree’s blog when I have the time to sift through all the comments and pictures.

6. postedNov 5, 2009 6:17 AM

Love the bandanna table cover…and the “fixins'”! So great for a Pioneer Woman supper! :)

I’m TRYING to wait to get my book until her book signing here. Don’t know if I can make it!!!

Love PW!

7. postedNov 5, 2009 6:23 AM

Like you I am a relative newcomer to Pioneer Woman. I don’t know how she manages to achieve so many high quality blog posts in such quick succession and I’m sure she is really triplets but they haven’t told us. I love the look of this dish and will definitely be checking this book out when it appears in the UK.

8. postedNov 5, 2009 6:37 AM

Great tribute! Love the pics. I still need to get my copy of the book!

9. postedNov 5, 2009 8:03 AM
    kat

Her story really is great isn’t it & I’m so happy to see a blogger reach such success

10. postedNov 5, 2009 8:05 AM

I made her cornbread yesterday too for the guys. I went to Ree’s book signing last night, it was so fun. She is the best! Love her and her new book!

11. postedNov 5, 2009 8:59 AM

Like you I don’t read her blog often but when I do it’s always entertaining. What I love is that she comes across down to earth.

Thanks for the brief review of her book.
    ~ingrid

12. postedNov 5, 2009 9:41 AM
    Sue

I have the PW cookbook and love it too! Great post!

13. postedNov 5, 2009 9:58 AM

I still haven’t gotten my book! Love your shots, especially the baking soda action shot.

14. postedNov 5, 2009 10:27 AM

I’ve never been much of a PW follower either. Her cookbook sounds wonderful though!Live must be difficult being a rancher’s wife and I can’t imagine how she has had time to do all the blogging. But she has made it a huge success and I salute her.

15. postedNov 5, 2009 10:40 AM
    Joyce Pack

I have certain food blogs that I visit everyday. Recipe Girl, Pioneer Woman, Susan over at SGCC, to name a few. I love your blog Lori. I love how blogs reflect the personality of the blogger. Also, gives us a sneak peek into your lives and the places you live. If you and Ree ever get together to cook – I would love to be there. What an experience that would be! Thanks for reviewing her cookbook. I’ve been eyeing it on Amazon!

16. postedNov 5, 2009 1:01 PM

I came across your blog site and have fallen in love! I love your recipes and photos. Incredible! Thank you so much!

17. postedNov 5, 2009 1:06 PM

I am glad to see this post as after I received her book I became a follower of her blog as well. This is a wonderful tribute to the recipe and I love all the toppings you had alongside the beans. How perfect! It definitely has my mouth watering.

18. postedNov 5, 2009 1:50 PM

I can’t read food blogs everyday I’ve no time, Pw is one of them it isn’t at my reader..by the moment…
    The cornbread looks outstanding as well your glorious photos…Lori :)

Cheers!

Gera

19. postedNov 5, 2009 2:01 PM
    Nancy

I think you should e-mail PW and tell her that your kid wants to visit, and she should host a kids’ event at the Lodge! It’s a great idea, IMHO.

20. postedNov 5, 2009 5:00 PM

Love PW, been reading her blog for over 2 years now & have tried several recipes. All are great! I might have to break down & buy the cookbook too. Wish she would come thru my town & sign it. I’m waiting for my invitation to the ranch too. Oh yeah, dreaming! :)

21. postedNov 5, 2009 5:16 PM

Love the pic by pic – what a great way to show the progression to a great meal!

22. postedNov 5, 2009 5:30 PM

Love all your pictures, and thanks for the review! Her food is totally not my style, but I admire her photography skills and writing voice!

23. postedNov 5, 2009 7:00 PM

I’ve got to get a copy of that book! Nice job with the step-by-step photos! PW would be proud!

24. postedNov 5, 2009 7:00 PM

I will have to give those beans a try. I can never make beans properly.. not really sure why, but I always burn them. Love the step-by-step photos!

25. postedNov 5, 2009 10:44 PM

Great post Lori~ it looks pretty darn yummy! I actually had a chance to meet her tonight! I was the first one in line at her book signing here in Phoenix- She is gracious, sweet, and awfully purdy! Tell you more about it later!

26. postedNov 6, 2009 7:27 AM

I think I need to make this cornbread now…it seems like everyone is talking about it!

27. postedNov 6, 2009 11:17 AM

That looks fabulous!! I’m a late blooming fan of PW’s, though of course I’ve been hearing for years how amazing she is. And she is! Must get this book.

28. postedNov 6, 2009 12:50 PM
    Robin Dalton

I have been reading PW’s blog for quite a while now. I think her blog is wonderful! She puts fantastic humor into her posts. Her cookbook is on my Christmas wish list!

29. postedNov 6, 2009 3:44 PM

Great post Lori and I love the photos! I must admit I haven’t read The Pioneer Woman cookbook but will give it a try. It sounds like the kind of good read I like. Recipes with great stories behind them.

30. postedNov 6, 2009 5:13 PM
    Paula

Hey cous – thanks for the shout-out and for the cookbook as well!! I am eager to read it and try the recipes! And btw, it was definitely the wranglers that sealed the deal!!!

31. postedNov 6, 2009 5:48 PM

WOW looks incredible – I am looking forward to trying this wonderful comfort food meal!!

32. postedNov 6, 2009 6:37 PM

This looks so good! We’re going to have to give this cookbook a try. ~ Belle

33. postedNov 6, 2009 10:39 PM

Wow, those beans look amazing! I just tried her buttermilk fried chicken but haven’t posted it yet, I’ll have to try these, they look so good.

34. postedNov 6, 2009 11:20 PM

I am SO buying her cookbook!
    GREAT review!

35. postedNov 7, 2009 5:22 AM

Ok, I wasn’t going to buy another cookbook, but by your high praises and I am ordering it on amazon today!

36. postedNov 7, 2009 9:32 AM
    Dianne

I have to say I’ve enjoyed following Pioneer Woman, as well as your blog for some time now. It has been a joyful trip. :)

37. postedNov 8, 2009 12:39 PM

PW is very talented. I love her site. I am looking foward to buying her book soon.

Thanks for the awesome post!

38. postedNov 8, 2009 4:33 PM
    Mixing Bowl Mama

I’ve been reading Ree’s blog since last December and she’s utterly adorable…thank you sharing one of her great recipes.

39. postedNov 8, 2009 5:00 PM

HOw lucky that you got to meet her–I just recently discovered her website and I love it.

Btw, the food looks so appetizing, care to share?

40. postedNov 8, 2009 5:38 PM

I am giving away one of PW’s cookbooks (autographed by Ree) on my site, giveaway ends November 17th midnight PST. I have been reading PW’s website since before she posted Black Heels. I just love her! And I got to meet her at a book signing in Tempe, Arizona last Thursday night (11-5). It was SO much fun, she is so sweet! She signed everyone’s book and let people take pictures with her and everything. I don’t know how long she was signing books in Tempe, but she was at previous book signings until 1am! She was so funny and witty, she had us all laughing. What’s not to love about PW, and I haven’t found a one of her recipes that I didn’t love!!

41. postedNov 8, 2009 6:20 PM

Great post, Lori!

42. postedNov 9, 2009 5:47 AM

I just ordered my book and can’t wait to get it! I will be giving it as Christmas gifts this year too! Great post and beautiful photos Lori! Looks delicious!

43. postedNov 12, 2009 10:09 AM

I’ve been following her blog for years now. She had become such a popular woman. She is down to earth and I tried some of her recipes and they were delicious. Surely a woman to meet.

44. postedNov 28, 2009 11:15 AM
    Debby

I think you’re right that Ree could have millions of followers. Her writing style makes me feel like I know her. You did a terrific job photographing how to make these recipes. I’ve made the beans and they are delicious.
    I’d love to have you submit this to our a new food blog I am starting “Foodie Fans of the Pioneer Woman”. It’s a bi-weekly recipe roundup where bloggers can share the recipes from P-Dub.
    You have a great blog! I don’t mean to comment for my own self-promotion. Seriously, I liked this post a lot– and I do like her cookbook, too!
    Debby