Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cinnamon- Cream Cheese Glaze

I used to be addicted to Starbuck’s Pumpkin Scones.  I’m not sure why… they’re not terribly moist (pretty darn dry, in fact).  I think it was the icing on top that attracted me.  And it’s probably more about the luxury of ordering something that looks like it should go well with my Pumpkin Spice Latte.  Well… I’m done with Starbuck’s Pumpkin Scones. I’m actually done with the Lattes too, opting instead for my cheaper, at-home treat:  2 bags of steeped decaf English Breakfast tea with a packet of Spenda and a splash of milk.  And I’ve found a muffin recipe that compensates for the loss of the etherial Pumpkin Scone:  Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Glaze.
PumpkinMuffins1
You may be thinking that you don’t like muffins with frosting. Too sweet for a morning treat, you say? Really? Think cinnamon rolls… would you really want to eat a cinnamon roll without a large schmear cream cheese icing on top? I think not. You can, however, leave some of them plain (for those people who aren’t fans of a glazey muffin). B.O.R.I.N.G.
PumpkinMuffins4
I had one of those people (Hi Mom!) in my house when I made these, so I made some with and some without.
PumpkinMuffins5
Now tell me, isn’t that muffin just calling to you? It’s saying, “Munch on me and you’ll get a mouthful of moist, crumbly muffin with a smidgen of oozy, cream cheesey sweetness included in every bite.” And those Starbuck’s Pumpkin Scones I mentioned earlier… they got nothin’ on these.

This recipe can be found here:  Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins
(& it was adapted from one orginally found on Stephanie’s Kitchen)

22 Responses to “Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cinnamon- Cream Cheese Glaze”

ninan — November 23, 2009 @ 3:34 AM

Luckily I don’t have to chose between Starbucks or these, ’cause we don’t have a Starbucks. I will however say that this is the most decadent healthy muffin I have seen in a long while!!!

HoneyB — November 23, 2009 @ 3:42 AM

Oh yeah, that muffin is calling to me. Especially that drip of frosting in the last photo…

I’ve never had a Starbucks Pumpkin Scone. Probably never will either. I’m not ready to give up my lattes though….however I get mine from a local coffee shop that is soooo yummy.

Bellini Valli — November 23, 2009 @ 3:57 AM

This muffin is definitely calling me since I loved the Starbucks pimpkin scones too…but I am a Chair Latte girl all the way.

Mybestfriendslittlesister — November 23, 2009 @ 4:31 AM

That muffin is calling to me!! Oh I can’t wait to try these!

veron — November 23, 2009 @ 6:11 AM

Yep, it’s calling out to me, specially since I’m sitting here with a cup of coffee!

Amanda — November 23, 2009 @ 6:20 AM

Oooo look at how gorgeous! I agree about Starbucks, all their muffins, cakes, etc are dry :-p

Elle — November 23, 2009 @ 6:55 AM

Beautiful! I’ll take a glazed one, please. And you’re spot on about Starbuck’s scones. Hello, sawdust!

Sonja @ ActiveFoodie — November 23, 2009 @ 7:13 AM

I love pumpkin muffins!! I’ll admit it, even though I try to keep breakfast pretty healthy, I would totally drizzle on that cream cheese frosting! YUM!!!!

Barbara — November 23, 2009 @ 7:22 AM

I have friends that love those scones; maybe this will be the perfect holiday gift for them from my kitchen!

Could you please come up with a substitute for their maple scones too since they don’t carry them anymore; I miss them.

I’ve made scones and think they are a bit on the dry side typically. I’ve always assumed it was from their origin in Britain where they get served with clotted cream and jam!

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — November 23, 2009 @ 7:48 AM

These look gorgeous. Fantastic pumpkin colour!

Mimi — November 23, 2009 @ 10:15 AM

Perfect for Thanksgiving breakfast.
    Mimi

Jen Schall — November 23, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

So many fantastic pumpkin recipes and so little time! These muffins look so beautiful! I’ve never actually tried the pumpkin scones at Starbucks, but I imagine these are much better. I’m a muffin fan anyway!

VeggieGirl — November 23, 2009 @ 2:05 PM

I’d be more addicted to YOUR baked goods than to Starbucks’ offerings! :-D

megan — November 23, 2009 @ 3:06 PM

Damn these look GOOD! With a cop of coffee, o-yeah!

bridget {bake at 350} — November 23, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

Yes, that muffin IS calling to me! :)

Tracy — November 24, 2009 @ 4:37 AM

Homemade is better than Starbuck’s and more rewarding to snack on something you baked.

Bethany — November 24, 2009 @ 7:22 AM

That looks delicious! :)

sarahbethy — November 24, 2009 @ 10:36 AM

I am in love with all things pumpkin. I live in Central IL where most of the nation’s pumpkins are grown and I would advise stocking up to last you the year. Here’s a link to a news article about the bad crop, just too wet this year. Probably why you had a hard time finding canned pumpkin.

Barbara — November 24, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

Love the frosting dripping all over that delicious muffin! Right up my alley!

cookiepie — November 24, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

Oh YEAH those are calling to me! I need to make a thank-you gift for my neighbor, and I think you just gave me the perfect recipe. So thank YOU!

LilSis — November 24, 2009 @ 6:13 PM

Those muffins look like they could top anything from Starbucks. And yes, they are calling to me! I was going to say that I would prefer mine without glaze, but I wouldn’t want to be considered BORING!!!

Sues — November 24, 2009 @ 7:27 PM

These definitely look way better than anything that could be bought at Starbucks!!