Christmas Cookies: Chocolate- Peanut Butter Snowballs

There is a rather disturbing trend taking place in the world of Christmas cookies.  It’s that folks are doing so-called “Christmas Cookie Baking,” that isn’t really holiday baking at all.  What I mean by this is that some people bake chocolate chip cookies or snickerdoodles and such, add them to their cookie platters and call them Christmas cookies.  Those are just cookies people!   And there is nothing holiday or festive about them unless you give them a good dose of holiday sprinkles.  It’s my Mom’s fault, really, that I feel this way.  She always baked holiday cookies that were garnished heavily with red and green.  Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be?  Holiday cookies should look like holiday cookies! Here’s a festive treat similar to the Mexican Wedding Cookie, but with some peanut-buttery chocolate hidden inside:  Chocolate-Peanut Butter Snowballs.
Snowballs2
Here’s the how-to:
Snowballs1
The interior of the cookie: Melt peanut butter and chocolate chips and mix with a small amount of powdered sugar and chopped peanuts.  Set that aside for a while to let it get slightly firm, and then roll out teaspoonfuls into little balls.

The exterior of the cookie: It’s made up simply of flour, butter and vanilla- that’s it!  Knead those ingredients together and form into a log.  Cut slices, flatten out the slices with your fingers, place a chocolate ball in the middle, and wrap exterior dough around it.  Roll the ball in green & red sprinkle-tainted powdered sugar and then bake.
Snowballs4
To make them even more festive looking… I roll them in the powdered sugar mixture again while they’re warm and fresh out of the oven.
Snowballs5
Straight out of the oven, these are a crumbly delight, and you’ll get a mouthful of gooey peanut buttery- chocolate too.  Once cooled and set, they become a more solid cookie, still rather delicious.  Now tell me… is there any question whether or not these belong on a holiday platter?  I think they fit the bill just perfectly.

P.S.  I will concede that anything eggnog, ginger, molasses or mint-themed is also worthy of being called a holiday cookie :)

This recipe can be found here:  Snowballs

————————————————————–
More festive-looking holiday cookies on the blogs:
Chocolate- Mint Thumprints from RecipeGirl
Red and Green Christmas Cookies from Cakespy
Wreath Cookies from Talk of Tomatoes
Candy Cane Cookies from Cakespy
Slice a Fancy Cookies from The Way the Cookie Crumbles

47 Responses to “Christmas Cookies: Chocolate- Peanut Butter Snowballs”

Daily Spud — December 7, 2009 @ 4:09 AM

Oh my, Lori, those are *seriously* festive – I may just have to roll my sleeves up now and start baking!

Bellini Valli — December 7, 2009 @ 6:25 AM

These are easy to preparew but look like you have spent hours. I love cookies like that!!!

Cate O'Malley — December 7, 2009 @ 7:05 AM

So pretty and festive for the holidays, but I think the best part is the hidden surprise inside – yum!

Suzi — December 7, 2009 @ 7:15 AM

Oh my. Snowballs are my favorite Christmas cookie, but I think you’re givig them a run for their money with these chocolatey, peanutty delights. I’m looking for cookies that will hold up in shipping and these look like they’d be sturdy enough! I’ll definitely be adding these to my cookie plate this year. Thanks!

Jen Schall — December 7, 2009 @ 7:20 AM

Yum! Beautiful cookies… I adore all things chocolate and peanut butter!

cookiepie — December 7, 2009 @ 7:23 AM

Beautiful, and soooo decadent! Re-tweeting right now…

LilSis — December 7, 2009 @ 8:21 AM

Now that is a beautiful Christmas cookie! I LOVE festive cookies and I love the Mexican wedding cookies so I know these have to be fabulous with the chocolate and peanut butter!

I may attempt to make these for my neighbors gifts.

Kary — December 7, 2009 @ 9:47 AM

I agree entirely! Holiday cookies should look like holiday cookies. Or be special or traditional somehow. That’s why I liked your thin mint chocolate cookies (part of your top 10 holiday cookies from the past.) But I had one question I hope you can answer. How did you get the colored sugar decorations on them? The cookies were dipped in chocolate and were probably kind of slippery. So how did you get the decorations on so they looked SO NICE? (Love your site.)

nina — December 7, 2009 @ 10:14 AM

I can tell you those cookies won’t stay on the holiday platter for long. They must be delicious!!!

Sara — December 7, 2009 @ 10:16 AM

Oh man, these cookies would definately be a favorite of mine! I”ll definately be making these for Christmas this year.

Kelly — December 7, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

Peanut butter and chocolate are two favorites at our house–I think these would be super popular :D

CakeSpy — December 7, 2009 @ 11:21 AM

Like a party in your mouth! I love these!!!

Stacie — December 7, 2009 @ 11:38 AM

These look really festive! I never heard of this kind of cookie before.

Terri A. — December 7, 2009 @ 11:44 AM

These look great! Aren’t snickerdoodles Christmas cookies? I only make them for Christmas, always thought they were! They don’t seem any plainer than Mexican wedding cookies. hmmmmmm.

Lori Lange — December 7, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

Terri- Don’t mind me… I’m just ranting and raving about how I think Christmas cookies should “look” like Christmas cookies- all red & green and pretty. Snickerdoodles are perfectly yummy, though my Mom made them for us all year long when I was a kid.

Cheryl — December 7, 2009 @ 12:19 PM

I love the “surprise” of the chocolate in the center – yum!

Kimbosue — December 7, 2009 @ 12:37 PM

I LOVE Mexican Wedding Cookies, but these are going to be so much better with the chocolate-peanut buttery goodness!

Sues — December 7, 2009 @ 12:54 PM

Ooooh! These are so pretty!!! Definitely bookmarked and will be trying… Perfect holiday cookie!!

Lori Lange — December 7, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

Kary- on the mint chocolate cookies you mentioned, I can’t quite recall. I’m thinking that placing the dipped cookie on waxed paper and then sprinkling the edges with the decor would work fine. Sprinkle immediately after dipping though or the chocolate might set before the sprinkles can attach.

VeggieGirl — December 7, 2009 @ 3:35 PM

Haha love the “holiday cookie” discussion ;)

Great treat!

Charles G Thompson — December 7, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

I love chocolate and peanut butter TOGETHER. I printed out the recipe and will be making these very soon! Thanks!

Ben — December 7, 2009 @ 7:32 PM

LOL @ disturbing trend! Your cookies are really festive :-p

megan — December 8, 2009 @ 6:31 AM

I love this cookie. What a surprise when they bite in. Kind of like a Christmas present in the middle! :)

JennInCT — December 8, 2009 @ 7:30 AM

These look awesome! Just curious, do you think they would freeze well?

Amanda — December 8, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

These are fabulous and that plate is gorgeous!

Manggy — December 8, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

Whew! I’m glad you included the molasses among the holiday cookies- since I started making them they never fail to remind me of Christmas :) I am loving these snowballs, how cute! :)

Karly — December 8, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

Oh my! These look amazing!

ErinsFoodFiles — December 8, 2009 @ 9:39 PM

How FESTIVE and fun!

Ann — December 8, 2009 @ 11:55 PM

Wow. It looks really delicious. I so love peanut butter and chocolate. I can imagine myself biting and then delight in its filling. Yuumm.. Are you kidding me? That is perfect for Christmas.

pigpigscorner — December 9, 2009 @ 1:24 PM

aww they look so pretty! and the middle…ahh I’m melting too.

Emily — December 10, 2009 @ 12:20 AM

Ohhh my gosh. What a fantastic idea! These look amazing!

Peter — December 11, 2009 @ 5:06 AM

Lori, what got me here is the whole Christmas colours look on the outside…truly festive!

sara — December 19, 2009 @ 1:14 PM

These look absolutely amazing! I will definitely be making these when I get home so I can enlist my mom and sister in helping me assemble them! :)

Kelly — December 20, 2009 @ 5:40 AM

Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!! I made these last night to add to my Christmas Cookie platter and I wish I had done a double batch. They are out of this world delicious. I picked one up while it was still hot and it broke apart so, of course, I ate it! OMG! You should change the name of the cookie to BLISS BALLS. So insanely yummy! Thank you for the recipe~! I adore your blog!

Katrina — December 20, 2009 @ 3:05 PM

I want to make these. Somehow missed the post a few weeks ago. They look de-lish.

I’m running out of time for making Christmas goodies, but these just might have to make it. ;)

cpwalk2 — December 21, 2009 @ 4:24 PM

I’m so making these for Christmas with the fam! Just one question…do you think I could use actual peanut butter instead of the chips? Or would it turn out too gooey?

Lori Lange — December 21, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

Cp- I would definitely try it with the peanut butter. I can’t say for sure that it would work, but it seems like it would probably be okay.

Foodycat — January 1, 2010 @ 6:50 AM

So cute! And very festive. It’s a bit late for this year, but next year for sure!

Blender Benefits — February 1, 2010 @ 4:57 AM

Rather than wait for the holidays, I’m going to turn these into ovals, cover them with pastel colored sprinkles, and make them for Easter. Thanks for posting these- they look great!

Dawn — July 12, 2010 @ 11:21 AM

These cookies are a fantastic, my children will love making them, I’m getting organised early this year planning all the treats I want to make for christmas. I may have to do a dummy run wink wink just to make sure!

Jessica Nunemaker — December 2, 2010 @ 7:53 AM

Popped over from Culinary Cory — and WOW do these look good!

I admit to making chocolate chip and snickerdoodles around the holidays because they are some family members favorites!

There are still plenty of Christmas-y looking cookies on the platters though. Sprinkles rock. ;)

Shannon — November 29, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

These cookies are as good as they look! thanks alot :)

Stacy — December 9, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

I just made these for the first time and I will tell you I agree completely my Christmas cookies must be sprinkled galore. If they don’t have red or green they aren’t Christmas. In fact any cakes and such must have red and green frosting in addition to the sprinkles. It drives my husband crazy he can’t figure out why everything has to have sprinkles. I just call him scrooge and move on. I am excited to try these. My kids thought they were super easy and loved helping me. Great easy recipe for kids!!!! :)

Nan Johnson — December 30, 2012 @ 6:27 PM

I made these tonight and I must say that they are terrible. I do alot of baking but have never tasted anything quite as bad as these. I made them just as the recipe stated and I found them to be quite disappointing. I think it was a waste of alot of ingredients because everything went down the garbage disposal. My grandson and my husband also agreed that they were awful. Have a Nice day.

Lori Lange — December 30, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

oh dear! I’m sorry they did not work out for you. We enjoyed them!

Courtney — November 25, 2013 @ 12:46 PM

These cookies look delicious and I cant wait to make them for the holiday season! I love making festive holiday cookies for my family and I’m sure they will enjoy this recipe. I definitely agree that if you are going to make a Christmas cookie they should look like one! These cookies could be a great gift idea. Also, I have a family member with peanut allergies. Could I replace the peanut butter with a chocolate and mint filling? Can’t wait to make them and look forward to more recipes!

Lori Lange — November 25, 2013 @ 8:58 PM