Quick, Easy, Healthy Weeknight Dinner: Pork Tenderloin with Olives & Capers

This might sound quirky and whacked, but spending an entire Saturday in the kitchen preparing multiple dishes for a dinner party is my idea of a good time (truly). When Sunday rolls around though, I’m pooped and I’m ready for the couch… ready to watch my tivo’d episodes of The Real Housewives of Orange County and hunker down to concentrate on the very-confusing last season of Lost.   During the week I focus on the more quick-and-easy type dinners to whip up for my family.  There’s a QUICK & EASY DINNERS section on the RecipeGirl site for those of you who like the quick and easy thing.

My latest find involves pork tenderloin- the cut of pork that’s so tender it’s tough to dry out (even if you can’t really cook):  Pork Medallions with Olive-Caper Sauce.

Pork “medallions” are easy to make. A one-pound piece of pork tenderloin is cut crosswise into 8 pieces- those are the medallions.  For this recipe, we flatten the medallions so that they cook up very quickly.  Take a meat mallet (or something heavy- even a rolling pin will work) and pound out the pieces until they flatten out. The medallions are dusted with flour and then sauteed in a very small amount of oil. The light sauce is made of reduced chicken broth & wine with added kalamata olives and capers. Such a simple dinner to prepare and so many good flavors too.

A serving of this pork includes two medallions with sauce, and it will only set you back 212 calories (or 5 Weight Watcher points). I served it up with a side of broccoli and some whole wheat spaghetti mixed with sauteed garlic, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts & a sprinkle of Parmesan. You can definitely feel good about getting a decent, healthy dinner on the table in a short amount of time. Save your more time-intensive dinners for the weekend, and then you can relax and watch some trash TV… or better yet, read a book :)

This recipe can be found here: Pork Medallions with Olive-Caper Sauce

——————————————–
Other recipes for Pork Medallions on the blogs:
Pork Medallions w/ Cider Sauce by Noble Pig
Pork Medallions w/ Balsamic-Honey Glaze by Andrea Meyers
Rye-Crusted Pork Medallions by Dishing Up Delights
Pork Tenderloin Medallions w/ Braised Fennel & Cider-Gorgonzola Cream Sauce by SophistiMom

15 Responses to “Quick, Easy, Healthy Weeknight Dinner: Pork Tenderloin with Olives & Capers”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 22, 2010 @ 3:12 AM

This looks delicious! I always forget about pork. I love the combo of olives and capers! YUM!

Sarah, MaisonCupcake — February 22, 2010 @ 3:41 AM

Pork with olives sounds very tasty. I am always scrambling to get my dinner ready before Lost starts!

Barbara — February 22, 2010 @ 11:40 AM

The combo of olives and capers looks wonderful on the pork! Super photo of a very well-balanced meal! I don’t usually have all the food groups on my plate. :(
    Someone online stuffed a loaf of French Bread with a pork tenderloin. I saved the recipe ’cause it looked so unusual.

LilSis — February 22, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

I make pork tenderloin quite a bit but am always looking for something new to do with it. Since I LOVE capers & olives, this combo of flavors looks delicious. And, I always have to serve up a green veggie, too. I love broccoli with pork.

cookiepie — February 22, 2010 @ 1:37 PM

Mmmmmmm – what a fabulous-looking dinner!

Laurie — February 22, 2010 @ 2:31 PM

This is my kind of meal Lori.. love capers and olives. yumm!
    And your overhead photo is beautiful! :)

Jamie — February 22, 2010 @ 5:47 PM

That dinner looks fabulous! I need to cook with pork more often!

Janice — February 22, 2010 @ 5:55 PM

I love pork tenderloin and this combo of flavors is right up my alley. Thanks for another great recipe! Love the photos as well.

marla {family fresh — February 22, 2010 @ 8:01 PM

This is so perfect! I love this meal. We have been enjoying more and more pork tenderloin lately. It is a nice diversion from chicken. Heck, it’s the other white meat, right?? Capers and olives are some of my go to ingredients.

Lynn — February 23, 2010 @ 7:22 AM

Lovely meal – the colors, textures, and flavors are perfect together.

I got lost in Lost long ago. At the season’s end, could you just post a short synopsis (ha), so I don’t have to watch it.

Sinful Southern Swee — February 23, 2010 @ 11:20 AM

Why do I always forget about pork?!?! This looks fabulous! Love the combination of flavors in this one.

Kerstin — February 23, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

That’s my idea of a good time too! I have a jar of capers that I haven’t gotten around to using, so maybe I’ll make this -it looks so tasty!

bridget {bake at 350} — February 24, 2010 @ 3:36 PM

Oh my gosh…I love olives, love capers, love pork tenderloin….I love this! :)

Cate O'Malley — February 24, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

With the combination of olives and capers, I bet this one is packed with flavor – looks delicious!

Megan — February 27, 2010 @ 7:47 PM

This sounds delicious-I love the salty flavorful combination of the olives and capers. I will definitely be trying this recipe for dinner some night next week!