Here’s a simple dinner recipe that won’t bust your diet: Light Chicken Parmesan
There are a few tricks for making chicken parmesan lighter. Baking it is key, and this recipe only breads one side of the chicken too– to save some calories!
It’s not smothered in cheese, but the cheese is definitely there, and it’s topped with a light tomato sauce. It will satisfy your craving for chicken parmesan for sure!!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Light Chicken Parmesan
- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg white
- Four 6 to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella (3 ounces)
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in purée
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- fresh chopped basil, for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 425°F, with rack in upper third. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
- In a food processor, place the bread, Parmesan, oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse until coarse crumbs form; transfer to a shallow bowl. Place the flour in a second shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. Place the egg white in a third shallow bowl, and beat with a fork until frothy.
- Dip the top side of the chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess. Dip the same side in egg white, letting excess drip off, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. (Do not bread other side.) Repeat with remaining chicken and transfer, breaded side up, to your prepared baking sheet. Bake until the breadcrumbs are crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; sprinkle with mozzarella. Continue baking until chicken is opaque throughout and cheese is lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the tomatoes, breaking them up with your fingers. Add the garlic; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve the chicken topped with a generous amount of tomato sauce. Garnish with basil, if desired.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/4th of the recipe)
- Calories 349, Fat 8g, Saturated Fat 3.25g, Sugar 7g, Sodium 606mg, Fiber 3g, Protein 49.5g, Cholesterol 113mg, Carbohydrates 19g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: SmartPoints: 6, Points Plus : 8, Old Points Program: 7
Here are a few more light chicken recipes you might enjoy:
- Light Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce by The Recipe Rebel
- Lightened-Up Chicken Alfredo by Recipe Girl
- Grilled Chicken Bruschetta by SkinnyTaste
- Parmesan- Crusted Chicken by Recipe Girl