Light Chicken Parmesan is a simple dinner recipe that won’t bust your diet. It’s also known as, “Skinny Chicken Parmesan”– not guaranteed to make you skinny, but it can certainly help!) Watch the video showing you how to make this recipe, then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can make it at home.
There are a few tricks for making chicken parmesan lighter. Baking it is key, and this recipe only breads one side of the chicken too– to save some calories!
It’s not smothered in cheese, but the cheese is definitely there, and it’s topped with a light tomato sauce. It will satisfy your craving for chicken parmesan for sure!!
Is this recipe Weight Watchers friendly?
Yes, it is! This recipe makes four servings. If you’re following the Weight Watchers Freestyle Smartpoints program, each serving will be counted as 4 Freestyle SmartPoints. I like to eat my chicken with a boatload of vegetables. It makes for a nice, light dinner.
It’s kind of a genius idea to only bread one side of the chicken. It’s easy enough to bread both sides, but since it’s being baked in the oven then the heat will do its thing to the top side only. The topping should become crisp and browned. You save calories by only breading the top side!
A light sprinkle of shredded mozzarella is added to the chicken toward the end of baking time. And a quick-made tomato sauce is spooned on top before serving.
Here are a few more lightened up chicken recipes you might enjoy:
- Chicken with Lemon Caper Sauce
- Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- Light Chicken with Basil Cream Sauce
- Chicken with Lime Butter
- Lightened-Up Chicken Alfredo
- Balsamic Glazed Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Bruschetta
- Smothered Chicken
- Parmesan- Crusted Chicken
Light Chicken Parmesan
- 2 slices whole wheat sandwich bread, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- Four 6 to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes in puree
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- chopped fresh basil, for garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 425°F, with rack in upper third. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside.
- In a food processor, place the bread, Parmesan, oil and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse until coarse crumbs form; transfer to a shallow bowl. Place the flour in a second shallow bowl; season with salt and pepper. Place the egg white in a third shallow bowl, and beat with a fork until frothy.
- Dip the top side of the chicken breast in flour, shaking off excess. Dip the same side in egg white, letting excess drip off, then in breadcrumbs, pressing to adhere. (Do not bread other side.) Repeat with remaining chicken and transfer, breaded side up, to your prepared baking sheet. Bake until the breadcrumbs are crisp and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; sprinkle with mozzarella. Continue baking until chicken is opaque throughout and cheese is lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add the tomatoes, breaking them up with your fingers. Add the garlic; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the sauce has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve the chicken topped with a generous amount of tomato sauce. Garnish with basil, if desired.