Here’s an easy and delicious Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad recipe:
Tomatoes are at their best right now. Grab some from the Farmer’s Market, and you’ll see what I mean! A red ripe, summer tomato is as good to eat as an apple. Throw it into a salad with crunchy cucumbers, onion and a simple herb dressing, and you have a lovely summer side dish.
This recipe comes from The Dash Diet 30-Minute Cookbook by Christy Ellingsworth. I had never even heard of the Dash Diet until recently. Apparently it was named as the best overall diet program by US News and World Report. The goal of this diet is to prevent and low high blood pressure. It emphasizes foods that you know are good for you- fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy. And it asks you to avoid calorie- and fat-laden sweets and red meat and cut back on salt. I’m not on this diet, and I don’t intend to follow it… but I’m enjoying the cookbook for the healthy options it offers. Here are a few recipes I’ve bookmarked to try: Homemade Sausage Patties, Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes, 2-Minute Refried Beans, Southwestern Salmon, Coconut Cauliflower Curry, Chewy Granola Bars and Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Top Cookies.
I could sit and eat this whole bowl for lunch. When it’s so hot in the summer (100ish degrees at my house this week), a salad is a welcome meal for sure!
And of course, it’s gorgeous too. I recommend you make this one and serve it with a beautiful, grilled steak and a glass of red wine. If you’re not into that idea, just make the salad and enjoy it with whatever you’d like! It’s a good way to celebrate the delicious summer vegetable harvest.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- 1 large hothouse cucumber
- 6 Campari tomatoes (or 6 medium tomatoes), quartered
- 1/2 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the cucumber, slice in half lengthwise, then use a spoon to gently scrape out the seeds. Slice the cucumber and place into a bowl. Add the tomato, onion and basil.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Nutritional information per serving: Calories: 85, Fat: 4g, Sat Fat: .5g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Sodium: 18mg, Potassium: 537mg, Carbohydrates: 11.5g, Fiber: 2.8g, Sugar: 1.7g, Protein: 2.2g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 1, PointsPlus: 2, Old Program: 1
Here are a few more tomato salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Avocado and Tomato Salad by Taste and Tell
- Fresh Mozzarella and Kumato Tomato Salad by RecipeGirl
- Tomato Salad with Sweet Onions by Diethood
Disclosure: There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.
Pier 2620 Hotel at Fisherman’s Wharf : a review Next Post »
Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Rice Bowls with Teriyaki Glaze