Apple Endive Salad is a unique salad recipe that you might enjoy trying!
This salad is unique because of the ingredients called for and the way it’s prepared. Endive leaves are used in place of lettuces that are typically used for salad. And julienned apples are combined with the endive leaves to complete the base of the salad. There is a simple, homemade vinaigrette used for tossing the salad, and individual servings are topped with blue cheese crumbles and toasted walnuts.
Endive is a member of the chicory family. The leaves have a crisp texture and a sweet, nutty flavor. There is a bitterness to endive that you will either enjoy or not enjoy. Endive can either be served raw or cooked.
You’ll find endive in your market near the other lettuces. It comes in tight heads that are about 6 inches long. The leaves just pull off the head easily, and you’ll discard the rest.
How to julienne an apple:
When you “julienne” a piece of food, you’re cutting it into matchstick pieces. To julienne an apple, remove the core of the apple, and either peel the apple or leave the skin on. Cut the apple into thin, flat slices, and use your knife to cut them into fairly uniform-sized matchstick pieces.
How to toast walnuts:
I like to use a nonstick frying pan to toast nuts. Just heat it over medium heat, add the nuts; watch and stir them often with a wooden spoon until they become fragrant and lightly browned. Remove them to a paper towel to cool.
We enjoy this salad as an alternative to our “boring old salads” as a prelude to dinner. An Apple Endive Salad is a good one to serve at a dinner party too.
Here are a few more salads featuring apple that you might enjoy trying:
- Pear and Apple Salad with Gruyere and Toasted Pecans
- Asparagus- Apple Salad with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
- Chicken, Apple and Smoked Gouda Salad
- Apple Fennel Salad
- Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Apple
- Broccoli Apple Salad
- Autumn Apple and Spinach Salad
- Apple- Bacon Salad
Apple Endive Salad
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons walnut or olive oil
- 2 large Golden Delicious apples, julienned
- 2 large Braeburn apples, julienned
- 3 heads Belgian endive, leaves separated
- ⅓ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ⅓ cup chopped, toasted walnuts
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- Combine the red and white wine vinegars, shallots, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add the oil, stirring well with a whisk.
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Put the apples in a medium bowl. Pour the dressing over them, toss, cover and refrigerate.
- When ready to serve, put the endive leaves in your salad bowl, Spoon the apples and the dressing over the endive leaves. Toss to coat. Divide the endive and apples among six plates. Top with blue cheese crumbles and chopped walnuts.
- One serving of this salad (split 6 ways) will count as 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.