This recipe has been featured in a how-to post on The Recipe Girl blog: Baked Barbecue Onion Rings. You can make these onion rings as gluten-free- please see tips below the recipe…
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 12 min
Baked BBQ Onion Rings
My family loves this very flavorful and lower fat, baked version of the onion ring.
1 cup barbecue sauce
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups panko bread crumbs
2 large sweet onions, sliced into 1/2-inch rings
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place two baking sheets in the oven and let those preheat too.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together barbecue sauce, eggs and flour.
3. Place bread crumbs in a separate bowl.
4. Using tongs (or your fingers) dip onion slice in the barbecue sauce mixture, shake the excess off and then dunk on all sides into the bread crumbs. Lay on a cool baking sheet. Repeat until all onion slices have been dunked.
5. Remove hot baking sheets from the oven and spray lightly with cooking spray. Move coated onions to hot baking sheets. Spray the coated onions lightly with cooking spray.
6. Bake for about 6 minutes, or until golden, then use tongs to turn each onion ring over. Spray the other side of the onions with cooking spray and bake for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Watch closely to make sure they crumbs are not browning too quickly or burning.
7. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
*For barbecue sauce... I prefer Sweet Baby Rays, but use your favorite.
*Panko bread crumbs can be found in your market's Asian aisle. Regular breadcrumbs may be substituted.
*This recipe is GLUTEN FREE adaptable- use a GF bbq sauce and GF flour and turn GF pretzels or bread into crumbs to coat the rings.
Source: RecipeGirl.com (very loosely based on a recipe from Cooking Light's Way to Cook
Orange Ginger Grilled Chicken Thighs Next Post »
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans