Sweet Caramelized Onion Spread is a delicious dip to display at a party with plenty of fresh vegetables.
Caramelized onions are pretty much the most delicious thing ever. They’re best when made with sweet onions, so this recipe calls for Vidalia sweet onions. Look for the “sweet onions” in your produce department. There’s a difference! The onions are cooked in a skillet with a little butter until they cook down and caramelize. They turn out so sweet and yummy. They’re the perfect addition to create this sweet caramelized onion spread.
- Vidalia sweet onions
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
How to make Sweet Caramelized Onion Spread:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
This is one of those things that tastes better when made ahead. Cover and refrigerate it for several hours (or overnight) until ready to serve. Enjoy!
If you happen to have some leftover onion spread, use it on a roast beef sandwich or to top a toasted bagel. It’s amazing!
Recipes Using Caramelized Onions:
- Crostini with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions and Fig Jam
- Caramelized Onion and Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
- Caramelized Onion Tart with Gorgonzola and Brie
- Filet Mignon with Marsala Caramelized Onions
- Dressing with Apples, Bacon and Caramelized Onions
Sweet Caramelized Onion Spread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium Vidalia sweet onions, sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in butter for 8 to 10 minutes on medium-high heat to lightly caramelize; add the garlic and cool.
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with crackers and/or raw vegetables.