These Black Cat Cookies are so fun for a kid’s Halloween party. They’re simply chocolate cookies shaped into cat heads and dotted with eyes and a nose.
How to Make Black Cat Cookies:
The instructions below share the base recipe for chocolate cookies. You’ll shape the cookie dough into balls and place a wooden stick into each cookie dough ball.
After dipping in sugar, you’ll take your fingers and pinch the top of the cookie dough ball to form kitty cat ears. The whiskers on each side of the cookie are created with a fork.
Two candy corn candies and a cinnamon red hot are pressed into the baked cookie when it’s hot out of the oven to create the complete look of the black cat. These Black Cat Cookies are super cute, and served on a stick makes them even more so!
Black Cat Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa (I use half black cocoa to make them darker)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 24 wooden craft sticks (popsicle sticks)
- 48 pieces candy corn
- 24 red hot candies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line the baking sheets with parchment paper (or lightly grease the baking sheets).
- In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2-inch. balls and place 3-inches apart on prepared baking sheets. *Be sure to make the balls of dough large enough... it they're not big enough, there won't be enough room on the cat's face to add the eyes and nose. It's good to test out a few before you prepare them all.
- Insert a wooden stick into each ball of cookie dough. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Pinch the top of the cookie to form kitty cat ears. For whiskers, press a fork twice into each side of the cookie. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set. Remove from the oven - immediately press on candy corn for eyes and red-hots for noses. Remove to wire racks to cool.