Beat the heat and cool down this summer with a bowl of this refreshing, healthy, and fat-free Blackberry Frozen Yogurt!
Ice cream is my first love but frozen yogurt is my second. Ice cream is sweet, thick, and creamy but sometimes that can be too much when it’s really hot out. Sometimes you need something that’s just cool and refreshing… and doesn’t ruin your figure. Something like this Blackberry Frozen Yogurt!
Summer berries are the best! You can get them for a fair price and they taste the sweetest. Plus if you live near a berry farm or have your own little garden you can have freshly picked and perfectly ripe berries at your finger tips to use in all sorts of yummy treats. I can’t wait to one day have my own little garden.
So I attempted to make a super easy version of this recipe by just tossing some frozen blackberries and vanilla yogurt in a blender together but that did not work out. Blackberries just have too many seeds so a 5-minute frozen yogurt that you could do with peaches or bananas was out of the question. Also, the vanilla flavored yogurt just wasn’t working and was actually too sweet.
To solve the problems in my first batch I decided to use fresh berries so I could puree them and strain out the seeds. This allows for a smooth frozen yogurt but since we’re not working with frozen berries anymore you have to pull the ice cream maker out (or wait a long time for it to freeze in the freezer).
I chose to use plain non-fat Greek yogurt so I could control the amount of sugar and vanilla. The taste turned out so much better. Perfectly sweetened and not too much vanilla. The great part about using non-fat Greek yogurt in this is that it’s fat free, high in protein, and still creamy.
After you puree the berries and strain out the seeds you just mix in the remaining ingredients and then pour it all into the ice cream maker. You can eat it soft-serve style or put it in a freezable container to enjoy in a few hours or on another hot day. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
Blackberry Frozen Yogurt
- 4 (6 ounce) packages fresh blackberries
- 32 ounces (about 4 cups) non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place blackberries in a blender or food processor and puree. Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the puree through the strainer. Use a rubber scraper to press all the juice through until you are only left with seeds in the strainer; discard the seeds.
- To the strained blackberry puree, add the yogurt, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Place the mixture in the bowl of an ice cream maker (if you have a small ice cream maker you may need to work in batches) and mix according to ice cream maker instructions (about 30 minutes). Enjoy as soft sever or pour into a freezable container and freeze for 2 to 4 hours to firm up.
- 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints per serving (8 servings total)
Here are a few more frozen treat recipes you might enjoy:
- Easy Strawberry Sorbet by Recipe Girl
- No Churn White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Garnish & Glaze
- Healthy Peach Frozen Yogurt by Fitness Food Diva
- 5-Minute Healthy Strawberry Frozen Yogurt by Just a Taste