Craving grilled cheese? Here’s a new kind of grilled cheese with a secret ingredient: Brie, Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese
The boys in my house almost always ask me to make grilled cheese sandwiches for them on the weekends. My go-to method is good bread, good butter, sharp cheddar and sliced tomato. They love the usual, but I asked them if they’d be willing to try something a little different last weekend. After eyeing me suspiciously, they tentatively agreed.
Here are all of the goodies I used in my new grilled cheese sandwich recipe. A (very smart) friend told me a long time ago that there was a trick to making a really amazing grilled cheese sandwich: brush the bread with (secret ingredient reveal) white wine. Why I’ve never tried it until now is a big mystery. I chose a hearty sourdough bread that would be able to take on a decent brush of wine without getting soggy, and I brushed Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc on one side and buttered the other side.
Butter-side-down on a hot skillet, I topped my bread slice with soft brie and honeycrisp apple slices…
…then spread some whole cranberry sauce on top. The other slice of bread placed on top (wine-brushed-side-down). Skillet cook until the bread is golden and the brie is beginning to melt, then flip and toast the other side too.
The result is a gooey grilled cheese filled with tangy brie, cranberry and the crunch of apple. The wine brushed on the bread lends a nice flavor to the sandwich as well.
And of course if you have wine INSIDE your sandwich, you simply must have wine WITH your sandwich too, right? I paired my husband’s sandwich with a chilled glass of Barefoot’s Sauvignon Blanc- their fruity, dry wine was a nice treat to accompany a Saturday afternoon lunch!
The verdict: My boys both enjoyed my new version of grilled cheese very much. My husband declared it as “restaurant quality,” which is a very big deal in our house! It’s the perfect fall-themed grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
Brie, Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:8 minutes
- 4 sturdy slices sourdough bread (not super soft)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- One 750ml. bottle Barefoot Sauvignon Blanc, chilled
- 8 ounce wedge of brie (chilled), rind removed, cut into thin pieces
- 1 medium honeycrisp apple, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- Butter the four slices of bread. Brush the other side with Sauvignon Blanc.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place two slices of bread butter-side-down on the skillet. Top each slice with brie pieces, sliced apple and cranberry sauce. Place the other slices of bread on top- butter-side-up. Place a lid on top of the skillet.
- Reduce heat to medium and let the sandwiches toast on the bottom. When the cheese looks like it's beginning to melt, take the lid off the skillet and use a spatula to check under the sandwiches. When they're golden brown, flip them gently. Toast the other side of the sandwich until golden brown. Serve and eat immediately with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc!
Here are a few more grilled cheese recipes you might enjoy:
- Lasagna Grilled Cheese by Joy the Baker
- The Adult Grilled Cheese by RecipeGirl
- Parmesan Crusted Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese by Rachel Cooks
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Caramelized Onions by RecipeGirl