Craving grilled cheese? Here’s a new kind of grilled cheese with a secret ingredient: Brie, Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese
The boys in my house almost always ask me to make grilled cheese sandwiches for them on the weekends. My go-to method is good bread, good butter, sharp cheddar and sliced tomato. They love the usual, but they totally agreed to try this Brie Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese. I mean… think about all of those things in a grilled cheese sandwich! It could be brilliant!
How to make Brie Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese:
Here are all of the goodies I use in this fabulous grilled cheese sandwich recipe. A (very smart) friend told me a long time ago that there was a trick to making a really amazing grilled cheese sandwich: brush the bread with (secret ingredient reveal) white wine. Why I’ve never tried it until now is a big mystery. I like to use a hearty sourdough bread that’s able to take on a generous brush of wine without getting soggy. I brush Sauvignon Blanc on one side and butter the other side.
Butter-side-down on a hot skillet, I top my bread slice with soft brie and Honeycrisp apple slices.
Then it’s time to spread some whole cranberry sauce on top. The other slice of bread is placed on top (wine-brushed-side-down). Cook in a medium-hot skillet until the bread is golden and the brie is beginning to melt. Then carefully flip the sandwich and toast the other side too.
The result is a gooey grilled cheese filled with tangy brie, sweet cranberry and the crunch of apple. The wine brushed on the bread lends a nice flavor to the sandwich as well.
What to serve with Brie Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese:
Since you have wine INSIDE of your sandwich, you simply must have wine WITH your sandwich too, right? I pair my husband’s sandwich with a chilled glass of Sauvignon Blanc- this fruity, dry wine is a nice treat to accompany an afternoon lunch! You can use any brand of wine you’d like- your favorite!
The verdict: This new version of grilled cheese is amazing! My husband has declared it as “restaurant quality,” which is a very big deal in our house! It’s the perfect grilled cheese sandwich recipe to make when you’re looking for something new to try. Enjoy!
Here are a few more grilled cheese recipes you might enjoy:
- The Italian Grilled Cheese
- Marbled Jack and Ham Grilled Cheese
- Lasagna Grilled Cheese
- The Adult Grilled Cheese
- Parmesan Crusted Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Caramelized Onions
Brie, Apple and Cranberry Grilled Cheese
- 4 sturdy slices sourdough bread (don't use soft bread)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup Sauvignon Blanc
- 8 ounces chilled brie (rind removed), cut into thin slices
- 1 medium honeycrisp apple, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- Butter the four slices of bread. Brush the other side with Sauvignon Blanc.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place two slices of bread butter-side-down on the skillet. Top each slice with brie, sliced apple and cranberry sauce. Place the other slices of bread on top- butter-side-up. Place a lid on top of the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium and let the sandwiches toast on the bottom. When the cheese looks like it's beginning to melt, take the lid off the skillet and use a spatula to check under the sandwiches. When they're golden brown, flip them gently. Toast the other side of the sandwich until golden brown. Serve and eat immediately with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc!