The Italian Grilled Cheese is a bumped-up, flavorful version of making a grilled cheese sandwich with an Italian twist.
Grilled cheese is just about one of the best comfort foods on the planet, especially when paired with tomato soup. You’ll see various version of grilled cheese on restaurant menus, and we sure love a good grilled cheese around my house too. This Italian grilled cheese sandwich is a little twist on my adult grilled cheese sandwich recipe. It’s a great sandwich to make for lunch!
- sliced Italian bread
- cream cheese
- red or yellow tomatoes (or both!)
- fresh basil
- provolone cheese
How to make Italian Grilled Cheese:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Some may argue that it isn’t a grilled cheese sandwich anymore if you add all these additional ingredients to it. I beg to differ! It’s absolutely a grilled cheese. It’s just jazzed up with more flavor, and made to be so much more delicious!
Change things up by using different cheeses. Use sun dried tomato spread instead of fresh tomatoes. Brush some white wine on the inside of the bread instead of cream cheese. Make your Italian grilled cheese the way that you would like it best. It’s easy to adjust the recipe to your liking. Enjoy!
The Best Sandwich Recipes:
- Chicken Almond Salad Sandwiches
- Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Cuban Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
Italian Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 ounce (2 thin slices) prosciutto
- 2 slices red or yellow tomatoes
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 1 slice provolone
- Spread the butter on the bread slices. Turn over and spread the other side of one slice with the cream cheese.
- Heat a skillet and place the cream cheese slice butter-side-down in the pan. Layer the prosciutto, tomato, basil and provolone on top of the cream cheese. Top with a 2nd slice of bread, butter-side-up.
- Cover, and heat the sandwich on low until lightly browned. Carefully flip and toast the other side.
- Remove to a cutting board. Let sit for a couple of minutes, then cut with a serrated knife and serve immediately.