Dill Pickle Potato Salad is the perfect party, picnic and potluck potato salad full of dill pickle flavor and plenty of dill pickles too!
Traditional potato salad is a favorite and should be made often. But sometimes it’s nice to change things up and make something different like loaded baked potato salad, blue cheese and bacon potato salad, pickled veggie potato salad or this dill pickle potato salad! This potato salad is definitely one for dill pickle lovers. Dill pickles add an enormous amount of delicious flavor to turn this into a must-make salad.
How to make Dill Pickle Potato Salad:
The first thing to do is prepare the most important part of the recipe: the potatoes! Boil red potatoes for 12 to 15 minutes, until they are tender. Let them cool completely, and then cut them into bite-sized chunks and add them to a bowl. I like to use red potatoes and keep the skin on. If you’re not into skinned red potatoes, it’s okay to use other peeled potatoes for this recipe.
Add chopped hard-boiled eggs, chopped celery, chopped dill pickle and sliced green onions to the potatoes in the bowl.
Next, prepare the potato salad dressing. Whisk together mayonnaise, dill pickle juice, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper.
Spoon the dressing over the potato salad, and toss to combine. At this point, it’s best to cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours and up to 8 hours. It’s okay to make it on one day, refrigerate and serve it the next day. Refrigerating potato salad before serving really gives the flavors a chance to meld. It will taste better when given a chance to sit and chill like this.
If you’re have a holiday weekend party or backyard barbecue, I suggest you try making and serving this dill pickle potato salad as your potato salad of choice this time around. Most people like dill pickles, so it’s likely they’re going to gobble up this salad too. Despite the name, the dill pickle is not overwhelming. It just adds flavor and crunch to the salad. This recipe is a keeper. Enjoy!
Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- 3 pounds small red potatoes
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 6 whole green onions, chopped
- 4 medium dill pickles, finely chopped
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup dill pickle juice
- 4 teaspoons mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- extra chopped pickles, for garnish (optional)
- In large pot, add potatoes and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer until tender- 12 to 15 minutes (until tender). Drain and let cool.
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces (no need to peel the potatoes).
- In a large bowl, add the cut potatoes, eggs, celery, onion and pickles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, pickle juice, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle a few extra chopped pickles on top, if desired. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.