These Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins are a simple breakfast recipe for fall mornings.
Watch the short video showing you how to make these Apple Cinnamon Muffins, then scroll to the end of this post and print out the recipe so you can make them at home!
Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins
These muffins are wonderful because they have a delicious layer of crumb on the tops. If you’re anything like me, I like to eat the crumbly top before I devour the rest of the muffin! There are tips in the recipe below for flour substitutions and how to cut down on fat.
When my now 6 foot 4 giant child was a wee one, we used to pack the car with a picnic and head to the local San Diego mountains on fall weekends. Those weekends are full of great memories such as going to the pumpkin patch and running through the corn maze, standing on tippy toes near the fences to pat the horses and dig into sheep fur, and sipping hot apple cider when there was a good chill in the air.
We often took our family photo at the pumpkin patch– standing in the remains of a long-ago picked corn field. Those were the days. And they were days I likely won’t be able to get back since 16 year olds aren’t so hip on hanging out with their parents at pumpkin patches any more!
The best part of those fall weekends was our time at the apple-picking orchards. If you’ve never been apple picking, it’s one of those things you must do. It’s not even like the apples are the best apples you’ve ever eaten, but the experience of walking around with a bucket and picking apples directly from the trees is super fun. And it’s really a nice thing for the kids to experience too.
The best part of the whole apple picking experience is coming home with loads of apples and deciding what you’re going to make. I always make a good batch of applesauce with my apples. And baking cakes, apple bread and these Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins is most often on the agenda too!
Here are a few baking recipes to try if you have a bucket-full of apples!
- Caramel Apple Scones by RecipeGirl
- Apple Crisp by She Wears Many Hats
- Apple Pie Cake by Recipe Girl
- Caramel Apple Sheet Cake by The Little Epicurean
- Maple Apple Tartlets by Recipe Girl
Easy Apple Cinnamon Muffins
These muffins are easy to make, and they're smack full of apple chunks and sweet cinnamon!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 medium apples (peeled, cored & chopped)
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients. Add oil, egg and milk and stir just until combined. Fold in apples. Divide batter between the 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients, blending together with a pastry cutter or fork. Sprinkle over unbaked muffins.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
- 9 WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS PER MUFFIN
- To lighten up the recipe a bit, fill the 1/3 cup measuring cup with 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 oil. The muffins will turn out just as moist.
- This recipe may also be made with white whole wheat flour in place of traditional whole wheat flour.
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2008. It was updated and re-published in 2018.