Green Bean Salad is an easy recipe to make and add to your menu!
My sister Susie was visiting recently, and she decided to whip up her favorite green bean salad to go with our dinner. It was delicious! I asked her to write down the recipe before she left, so we are all gifted with the recipe here. She shared her Broccoli Salad with RecipeGirl readers many years ago too. She’s just really good at salads!
This salad is a really simple mix of cooked green beans, halved pear tomatoes and red onion. It’s tossed with a simple vinaigrette, and then some feta cheese is added in just before serving.
How to choose the best green beans:
Use fresh! 100% use fresh. Don’t pull out any frozen green beans for this green bean salad, please. Look for bright green colored green beans with no brown spots. They should be firm (not limp), and they should snap when you bend them in half. If you follow these guidelines, then you’ll be using the freshest green beans!
A note about feta cheese:
If you’re not into cheese, you can certainly leave the cheese out of the recipe entirely. But feta cheese is a delicious addition. Crumbled feta is okay to use. I prefer to buy a larger chunk of feta and cut it into small chunks for this green bean salad. The feta cheese that sold in a large chunk and isn’t crumbled in a package is much more flavorful. Try it!
The final days of summer are upon us, so grill as much as possible and add this green bean salad to your dinner plans. Enjoy!
Here are a few more vegetable side dish recipes you might like to try:
- Steamed Asparagus with Almond Butter
- Roasted Baby Beets
- Broccoli Gratin
- Creamed Corn
- Green Chile Cauliflower Casserole
- Summer Gratin
- Parmesan Peas
- Roasted Butternut Squash Gratin
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Green Bean Salad
- 1½ pounds trimmed green beans, cut into 2 or 3-inch pieces
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped (see Recipe Notes below)
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, bring water to boil. Boil the green beans for 3 to 5 minutes, until just tender. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled green beans with tomatoes and red onion. Toss to distribute evenly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Drizzle the dressing onto the salad, and toss to combine. At this point, you can cover the salad with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Add feta cheese just before serving.
- Tip: soak the red onion in water for a few minutes to take out some of the strong onion flavor.
- If you're counting WW Points be sure to use reduced fat feta cheese.