This Grilled Swordfish with Avocado Mayonnaise is an absolutely terrific recipe for using up fresh swordfish steaks.
If you get your hands on some nice swordfish steaks, this is a delicious way to prepare them. The steaks are marinated in a simple, fresh, cilantro-lime marinade for about an hour. Then they’re grilled. The steaks cook pretty quickly and should be done in only about 8 minutes.
The avocado mayonnaise is a blend of avocados, mayonnaise, lime juice and Tabasco. And then you have this fabulous grilled swordfish with avocado mayonnaise.
Many varieties of fish have a flaky texture, but swordfish has more of a meaty texture. It is sold in steaks. Swordfish is a mild-tasting, white fish. Reddish areas have a stronger flavor and can be cut off and discarded. Trim off the tough and inedible skin before or after cooking.
Swordfish is often sold frozen and the quality of frozen is usually pretty good, but make sure that the reddish areas are red, not brown.
Can I substitute another kind of fish for the swordfish in this recipe?
Yes! Substitute other meaty fish such as tuna, halibut, mahi-mahi or salmon in place of the swordfish. You can use the same marinade and top with the avocado mayonnaise.
Here are a few more swordfish recipes you might like to try:
- Grilled Swordfish with Mango Salsa
- Swordfish with Roasted Onion Vinaigrette
- Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple-Peach Salsa
- Pan-Roasted Swordfish with Cherry Tomatoes and Capers
- Grilled Swordfish with Rosemary
- Swordfish with Mustard- Basil Butter
- Grilled Swordfish Skewers with Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Swordfish with Parmesan Sauce
Grilled Swordfish with Avocado Mayonnaise
- 1½ large Hass avocados
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons grated lime zest
- 1½ tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno (seeds removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Four 8-ounce 1-inch thick swordfish steaks
PREPARE THE AVOCADO MAYONNAISE:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process; scraping down sides to work in ingredients until all is smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Clean out processor bowl.
- In the food processor bowl, combine the onions, cilantro, oil, juice, zest, sugar, jalapeño, salt and pepper. Process, then transfer to a pyrex dish. Add the swordfish, cover, and marinate in the refrigerator, turning once or twice, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. When the grill is ready, remove the fish pieces from the marinade (reserve the marinade), and lay them on the rack. Cover and grill, basting with the marinade and turning once, until the fish is done to your liking, about 8 minutes total for fish slightly undercooked at the center.
- Transfer the fish to plates, top with a dollop of the mayonnaise, and serve immediately.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of mayonnaise that is known to be GF.
- Nutritional information is calculated with the assumption that ALL of the avocado mayonnaise will be eaten. If you use a smaller amount, the calorie count will be lower.