Roasted potatoes make for a great potato salad in this recipe for Lemon Basil Roasted Potato Salad.
It’s that time of year where backyard barbecues are happening, and potato salad is a natural side dish to add to your meal. This is a nice, fresh, non-mayo potato salad with great flavors. A delicious vinaigrette coats roasted potatoes. Red onion, Parmesan cheese and crispy, cooked bacon are the additional ingredients that make this lemon basil potato salad so fabulous!
How to make Lemon Basil Roasted Potato Salad:
You can use either red potatoes or small Yukon Gold potatoes for this recipe. No need to peel the potatoes! You’ll cut them up into pieces, toss them in olive oil and roast them in the oven at a high heat until they’re tender.
The vinaigrette for the potato salad is made of olive oil, lemon juice, fresh basil, Dijon, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
The dressing is tossed with the roasted potatoes and some thinly sliced red onions. Freshly grated Parmesan cheese and crumbled, cooked bacon are mixed in too.
How to make bacon in the oven:
I like to make bacon in the oven. It’s the easiest, cleanest way to make bacon! Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lay the strips of bacon on the foil. Bake until the bacon is browned and crispy, 20 to 25 minutes for thick-cut bacon. Let the bacon cool and drain on a paper towel lined plate, and then chop it into smaller pieces.
Make ahead tip:
If you’d like to make this lemon basil roasted potato salad ahead, wrap it up after you toss the potatoes with the onions and dressing. Just before serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon. Enjoy!
Here are a few more potato salad recipes you might like to try:
- California Potato Salad
- Blue Cheese and Bacon Potato Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Red White and Blue Potato Salad
- No Mayo Potato Salad
- All American Potato Salad
- German Potato Salad
- Smashed Potato Salad
Lemon Basil Roasted Potato Salad
- 2½ pounds small Yukon Gold or red potatoes, cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (or maybe a little less)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 3 to 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet pan with foil.
- In a large bowl, coat the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place on the prepared pan. Roast the potatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until they are tender and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the basil, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in 2/3 cup olive oil in a slow, steady stream. You may or may not wish to use all of the olive oil.
- Place the roasted potatoes and onion in a large bowl. Gently toss with the dressing. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of Dijon and bacon that are known to be GF.