This vegetarian Moroccan Stew recipe is full of delicious flavors.
This vegetarian stew gets its hearty base from plenty of sweet potatoes, tomatoes and chickpeas. Moroccan style spices + peanut butter, raisins and cilantro round it out.
A bowl of Moroccan Stew is the perfect dinner to make for Meatless Mondays. It’s certainly filling enough to make everyone happy.
The juices in this stew are so delicious that you’ll want to make sure you have some bread on hand for soaking it all up.
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- One 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large, nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients, except raisins, peanut butter and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in raisins, peanut butter and cilantro. Mix well. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve hot.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of chickpeas, vegetable broth and peanut butter that are known to be GF.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe) Calories: 304, Fat: 7.25g, Saturated Fat: 1.35g, Sugar: 11g, Fiber: 8.5g, Protein: 9.75g, Cholesterol: 1.25mg, Carbohydrates: 54g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 5, Points Plus Program: 8, Old Points Program: 7.5