These Mushroom and Pecorino Tarts are made with a base of puff pastry. They’re a delicious and elegant appetizer or side dish recipe.
Mushroom and Pecorino Tarts
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
- all-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half a 17.3oz. pkg.), thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake (stems removed), and button, thinly sliced
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 cup coarsely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to an 11-inch square; cut into 4 equal squares. Using a paring knife, lightly score each square (do not cut all the way through), forming a 1-inch border. Using a fork, prick dough inside border.
- Place pastry squares on baking sheet; refrigerate 10 minutes. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Dividing evenly, sprinkle 1/2 cup Pecorino in center of baked pastry squares; top with mushrooms and remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with chives, and serve.