Since the oven isn’t all that welcome in the summer, this No Bake Pumpkin Shortbread Bars dessert is the best plan to make in the summer and all year long!
I’ve raved before about pumpkin, but I’m going to do it again here. You can use pumpkin all year long in both desserts and savory recipes too. It’s not just all about the pumpkin pie, you know? I have a good stash of canned pumpkin purée in my pantry at all times. My family loves my famous Pumpkin Bread recipe, and I’m kind of partial to my Pumpkin Chili and Pumpkin Cornbread! These No Bake Pumpkin Shortbread Bars are a must-try dessert.
Today I’m showing you how to make a dessert that won’t let you stop at just one piece (or if you do then you’ll go to bed dreaming about it and will immediately want a piece in the morning for breakfast!)
How to make No Bake Pumpkin Shortbread Bars:
- The crust is made up simply of shortbread cookie crumbs, sugar and butter. It’s pressed into your pan and then chilled until firm. No baking needed!
- Next there’s a majorly delicious creamy pumpkin mixture spread on top.
- Then the whipped topping is added… and more shortbread cookie crumbs!
After you’ve given this dessert a chance to set up in the refrigerator for a couple of hours, it’s ready for cutting and serving.
Behold the creamy goodness! See how delicious an easy pumpkin dessert can be? I have you craving pumpkin now, don’t I?
COOL PUMPKIN FACTS:
- Pumpkins grow from seed to harvest in just six months.
- You can store pumpkin purée in a re-sealable container in the fridge for up to one week- it’s great to keep on hand for daily smoothies! And it will keep in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months in your freezer.
- You can replace half the butter or margarine in your baking recipes with pumpkin purée to cut the fat.
So take a bite of these No Bake Pumpkin Shortbread Bars, then take another… and then use all the willpower in the world to wait until the next day to have a second piece. Enjoy no-baking and eating pumpkin things all summer long!
Here are some more no bake recipes you might enjoy:
- No Bake Pumpkin Cookies
- No Bake Bailey’s Chocolate Cheesecake
- Cherry Cheesecake Bars
- No Bake Cheesecake
- No Bake Lemonade Pie
No Bake Pumpkin Shortbread Bars
- 1½ cups shortbread cookie crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
FILLING AND TOPPING:
- Two 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- One 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- One 3.5-ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups Cool Whip, thawed
- ½ cup shortbread cookie crumbs
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- In a medium bowl, combine 1½ cups cookie crumbs, butter and sugar. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8½ x 11-inch pan. Place the pan into the freezer while you prepare the rest of the dessert. You want the crust to firm up.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to soften up the cream cheese and beat until creamy. Mix in the sugar, then the pumpkin and sour cream until well-combined. Add in the milk and the dry pudding mix, and beat for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and spread the pumpkin mixture evenly on top. Spread the Cool Whip on next. Then sprinkle cookie crumbs on top.
- Refrigerate the dessert for at least a couple of hours before cutting and serving.
- *To make shortbread cookie crumbs, just place the cookies into a food processor and give it a few whirls... or put the cookies in a large zip baggie and smash to bits!