Now you can make a Peppermint Latte at home and save money on buying it at the coffee shops this holiday season!
My husband is so in love with Peppermint Lattes during the holiday months. And he comes home all too often with one in his hand. So I was happy to discover that you can make them at home, and they’re very easy to make too. Although he gripes about it, my husband can even make one himself. And think of all the money we’re saving!
- vanilla syrup
- peppermint extract
- chocolate syrup
- whipped cream
- candy canes
- chocolate curls
- Instructions for making your own vanilla syrup (easy) can be found further down in this post.
- Be sure to use peppermint extract (not mint or spearmint).
- Espresso pods can be used with a Keurig coffee maker, or you can just make strong coffee instead.
- Peppermint candies of any kind can be used (and crushed) to use as a garnish.
- Chocolate curls are optional (but yummy).
How to make a Peppermint Latte:
We have these fabulous glass mugs for making coffee drinks at our house. We use them often, so I would consider getting some too. Love them.
Add vanilla syrup to your mug. Then add espresso, chocolate syrup and peppermint extract. Stir. Add steaming hot milk, and stir again. Float a little whipped cream on top. Garnish with crushed peppermint candy and some chocolate curls. That’s it!
How to make Vanilla Syrup:
You can buy vanilla syrup at the store in the coffee aisle, but you can also make it at home. Begin by making a thick simple syrup. Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water to a saucepan. Heat to boiling, stir until sugar dissolves. Let the sugar syrup cool completely. Then add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract to the cooled sugar syrup to create vanilla syrup. This can be used for making your Peppermint Latte, but you can also use it for a vanilla latte or an iced vanilla latte. This recipe for vanilla syrup will allow you to make several beverages. Just store it in the refrigerator, and it will keep for up to one month.
So get in the festive mood of the season, and make a Peppermint Latte at home. It’s warm and comforting, and it tastes like Christmas. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons vanilla syrup
- 2 shots hot espresso (or ½ cup strong coffee)
- ½ tablespoon chocolate syrup
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup milk, warmed until steaming
- 2 to 3 tablespoons whipped cream, for the top
- crushed candy canes and chocolate curls (optional)
- Add the vanilla syrup to a mug. Stir in the espresso, chocolate syrup and peppermint extract. Pour in the milk and stir.
- Top with the whipped cream. Garnish with the crushed candy cane and chocolate curls if desired. Serve immediately.
- If making this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just make sure the chocolate syrup is gluten-free.