These Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins are the perfect end of October and all of November breakfast treat or snack!
Muffins are the best weekend treat. I often make them for my family early on a Saturday morning before anyone is out of bed. Then they’re all thankful and happy that Mom got up early to feed the family.
Is there anything better than a warm apple muffin? Consider surprising someone with this seasonal fall muffin recipe! Everyone will benefit because you’ll have enough leftover to save for busy weekday mornings ahead.
What we have here is a delicious pumpkin muffin recipe that is studded with chunks of fresh apple.
What are the best kinds of apples to use for baking?
Golden Delicious apples are my first choice for adding to muffins. Another variety that works well for muffins is Fuji. Granny Smiths are also popular because they bring out a tart flavor to balance the sweetness of the muffin.
This batch of muffins makes 18. That will give you plenty to enjoy while they’re nice and warm at the time of baking. And you will likely have many left over. They keep well in a covered container for a few days. Or you can choose to freeze them to be defrosted later.
How to freeze muffins:
Cool muffins completely before preparing to freeze. Wrap muffins in plastic wrap or foil, and them place them in a plastic zip freezer bag. Label your zip bag with the date. Muffins are fine to be frozen for about 3 months. It’s best to thaw them at room temperature when you’re ready to eat them.
These Pumpkin Apple Muffins have a simple streusel topping. The topping is made of sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter. It adds a sweet and crusty layer to the tops of your muffins.
They’re so perfect for serving on a chilly fall morning with a big mug of coffee!
Here are a few more pumpkin muffin recipes…
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Chip Muffins
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- Two Ingredient Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake Muffins
Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups peeled and chopped Golden Delicious apples
PREPARE THE STREUSEL:
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until it's a crumbly consistency. Set aside.
PREPARE THE MUFFINS:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 18 muffin cups or line with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt until blended.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the pumpkin, oil, applesauce and eggs until blended. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture and mix just until moistened. Stir in the apples.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
These muffins look so delicious and perfect as a sweet breakfast or snack!