Scalloped Potatoes with Peppers and Swiss Cheese is a great potato side dish. This cheesy scalloped potato recipe serves 3 people (or 2 with leftovers).
If you’ve been looking for a new side dish recipe to have with dinner, this Scalloped Potatoes with Peppers and Swiss Cheese recipe is the one to try. It’s perfect for a small dinner for 2 or 3, but it can easily be doubled to feed more people.
- red potatoes
- green onions
- red bell pepper
- cayenne pepper
- whipping cream
- Swiss cheese
- Parmesan cheese
How to make Scalloped Potatoes with Peppers and Swiss Cheese:
Cut the potatoes into thin slices and then set them aside. There is no reason to peel them.
The sauce is made in a skillet. Green onions, red bell pepper and garlic are sautéed in butter with a pinch of cayenne pepper. It’s finished off with whipping cream, milk and salt.
The potato slices are then added to the pan, and the sauce is brought to a simmer for about 15 minutes- until the potatoes are tender.
Then the potatoes and sauce are transferred to a small baking dish. Swiss and Parmesan cheeses are sprinkled on top, and it is baked for 45 minutes.
This Scalloped Potatoes with Peppers and Swiss Cheese recipe will turn out to have a crisp, cheese layer on top and tender potatoes on the bottom. If you prefer to have a more “freshly” melted layer on top, you can bake the potatoes covered with foil, and remove the foil in the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes in place of red potatoes.
- Use chopped shallots and chopped mushrooms in place of the green onions and red bell pepper.
- Replace the Swiss cheese with cheddar, Monterey Jack or Havarti.
Serve these Scalloped Potatoes with Peppers and Swiss Cheese with a main dish for a small holiday dinner or weeknight meal. Enjoy!
Here are a few more scalloped potato recipes you might like to try:
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Pumpkin Scalloped Potatoes
- Mushroom Dill Scalloped Potatoes
- Beer Baked Scalloped Potatoes
- Garlic Parmesan Scalloped Potatoes
- Scalloped Garlic Potatoes
- Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
Scalloped Potatoes with Peppers and Swiss Cheese
- 16 ounces red potatoes (unpeeled)
- 1½ tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped red bell peppers
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a small baking dish (about 5x7-inches) with nonstick spray.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick slices; set aside.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add the green onions, red bell pepper, garlic and pinch of ground red pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add the whipping cream, milk, and salt, stirring well.
- Add the potato slices to the pan; bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook, stirring gently, for 15 minutes or until the potato slices are tender. Spoon the potatoes and sauce into the prepared dish; sprinkle with the cheeses.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- *Double the recipe to make in a 9x13-inch pan