This Sicilian Pot Roast is such a flavorful and comforting meal!
I live in a house where meat is the desired option for dinner. So it falls upon me to figure out if I’m serving steak, beef stew, roast beef, beef brisket or pot roast. I grill steak all summer long (when I can afford it), but when cooler weather hits, I like to make a good pot roast. This Sicilian Pot Roast is our new favorite!
This recipe makes enough for six people. It’s perfect for a great Sunday night dinner. And it’s a nice one to serve during the holidays too.
How to make Sicilian Pot Roast:
The full, printable recipe is included at the end of this post.
Make the sauce. Heat oil in a Dutch oven, and add red pepper flakes and garlic. Add red wine, and simmer until it has reduced by half. Add tomato sauce, lemon zest and kalamata olives and simmer a bit more. Add the beef pot roast to the pan.
Put the lid on the pot and roast in the oven at 325 degrees until the temperature reaches about 145 degrees. This should take 45 to 60 minutes.
Move the pot roast to a cutting board. Let it rest for a few minutes. Then slice the pot roast thinly. Add lemon juice and fresh parsley to the sauce in the pan.
Serve slices of the pot roast topped with the delicious sauce. Don’t forget to fish out a few olives to serve on top too. Sprinkle with additional fresh parsley, if you’d like, to make things look pretty.
Where can I buy a Dutch oven?
Amazon has a great, basic, cast iron Dutch Oven that I bought a couple of years ago. It’s perfect for making this Sicilian Pot Roast and a lot of other meals. It’s especially perfect for making my Dutch Oven Bread too!
Sicilian Pot Roast
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 quart tomato sauce
- 1 medium lemon, (juice and zest, divided)
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halvedd
- 2½ pounds beef pot roast
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red pepper flakes and garlic to the pan; cook until the aroma is apparent. Add the wine and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. Add the tomato sauce, lemon zest and olives. Bring to a simmer.
- Place the pot roast in the sauce. Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Heat until an internal temperature of 145° F. is reached (45 to 60 minutes).
- Add the lemon juice and chopped parsley to the sauce and check for any needed additional seasoning (salt and pepper).
- Move the pot roast to a cutting board to slice. Serve slices drizzled with sauce.