These Portuguese Roasted Potatoes are so much more than regular roasted potatoes!
What makes them different? Well, they’re potatoes that are kicked up a notch by adding in smoked sausage, veggies and spices. You can eat these Portuguese Roasted Potatoes as a main dish, or serve them as a side to chicken, beef or roasted pork.
How to make Portuguese Roasted Potatoes:
First you’ll pour water into a roasting pan (or you can use a sheet pan). Then you’ll stir in red wine vinegar, paprika and sugar. Chopped baking potatoes, sliced sausage, sweet onions, tomatoes, fresh parsley and salt/pepper are added to the water. All is tossed, and then it’s roasted for just under two hours.
The long baking time gives the water a chance to evaporate- leaving the added flavor behind, and it results in crisp and wonderful potatoes.
What is Portuguese sausage, and where can you find it?
Look for Portuguese sausage (also known as Linguiça) at Whole Foods (that’s where I’ve had luck finding it). Linguiça is a mild sausage. Chourico (chorizo) is its spicy twin made different only by the addition of hot peppers. But if you can always used regular smoked sausage if you can’t locate the Linguiça or the Chourico.
Consider making something different for dinner, and try making these Portuguese Roasted Potatoes. I think you’ll be pleased with the flavor and texture. They’re definitely different than plain roasted potatoes. They’re better. Enjoy!
Here are a few more recipes for roasted potatoes that you might like to try:
- Mustard Roasted Potatoes
- Lemon Salt Roasted Potatoes
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Oven Baked Potato Wedges
- Lemon and Herb Roasted New Potatoes
- Lemon Basil Roasted Potato Salad
- Crispy Parmesan Roast Potatoes
Portuguese Roasted Potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons granulated white sugar
- 1½ tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ medium sweet onions, chopped
- 1½ large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 6 large baking potatoes (Russet), washed and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1½ pounds smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Pour water into a roasting pan. Add the vinegar. Sprinkle paprika and sugar over the water; mix to remove the lumps. Add the salt, pepper, onion, tomato, parsley, potatoes and sausage. Toss and mix well.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1½ to 2 hours. Stir a few times while cooking.
- Whole Foods actually sells Portuguese smoked sausage, which is what I used for this recipe. If you can't find it, go ahead and use any kind of smoked sausage.