Tex Mex Layered Salad is a nice version of a layered salad that includes all kinds of delicious goodies. It’s very much like a taco salad with a creamy, southwestern style dressing.
Our seemingly endless Little League baseball season is fiiiiiiinally over. Basketball too. And school ends this week! It’s time to start thinking about flip flops, beach towels, BATHING SUITS, and sand between my toes. In other words, it’s time to start thinking about “salad.”
There’s no meat in this salad (but you can add a layer of seasoned taco meat if you’d like), and it’s easily gluten-free adaptable.
1st layer: chopped lettuce. I used Romaine here, but I sometimes use a combination of chopped Romaine and chopped Iceberg. I like the added crunch that iceberg gives.
2nd layer: black beans
3rd layer: corn (use canned or fresh kernels)
4th layer: avocado
5th layer: roasted red peppers
6th layer: a little more lettuce
7th layer: shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8th layer: sliced olives
9th layer: a homemade Tex Mex dressing
10th layer: a garnish
The best part is… if you don’t like a layer, leave it out or replace it with something you like better! The dressing mixes into the salad as it’s served. This salad is a nice choice to bring for all of those summer barbecue potlucks you’re going to be invited to. And because you’re eating salad, now you can go bathing suit shopping! Yeah, good luck with that. 😉
If you’re looking for more great salad recipes to try, you might enjoy some of these:
- Layered Nacho Salad
- Grilled Steak Chopped Summer Salad
- Southwest Salad with Avocado Dressing
- Loaded Greek Chicken Avocado Salad
- Easy Gourmet Salad
- Classic Cobb Salad
- Holiday Honeycrisp Salad
- Spinach Salad with Chicken, Avocado and Goat Cheese
Tex Mex Layered Salad
I love this Tex Mex salad, complete with layers and a great dressing!
- 1 10-ounce can original Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 15-ounce can corn, rinsed & drained
- 2 medium avocados, peeled & sliced or diced
- 3/4 cup jarred roasted red pepper strips
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 6-ounce can sliced olives (reserve a few for garnish)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- additional chopped lettuce, shredded cheese and olives for garnish
PREPARE THE DRESSING:
- Place dressing ingredients in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to combine until smooth. Set aside while you prepare the salad.
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Layer the salad ingredients in a large glass bowl in the following order: 4 cups of lettuce, black beans, corn, avocado, red peppers, 2 more cups of lettuce, cheese, and olives. Spread the dressing on top. Then use a few sprinkles of chopped lettuce, cheese, olives and green onions to garnish the top. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours, or serve immediately.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of black beans that is known to be GF.
- This salad is vegetarian as written, but you can easily add a layer of taco-seasoned chicken or ground beef to the salad.
- Use light versions of sour cream, cream cheese and shredded cheese if you're watching your calorie intake.