This healthy Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread recipe will quickly become a family favorite.
So you have ripe bananas? But it’s fall and you want to make pumpkin bread? Why not try baking my whole wheat pumpkin banana bread instead? It’s a combination of the two!
- whole wheat pastry flour
- all purpose flour
- ground flaxseed powder
- baking powder, baking soda and salt
- ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves
- canned unsweetened pumpkin purée
- light brown sugar
- mashed ripe banana
- olive oil
How to make Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Cool the pans on wire racks for 20 minutes, and then gently turn out the loaves onto wire racks to cool completely. Then you can slice it up!
The flavors are subtle, and the texture is moist. I wouldn’t say it’s more like banana than pumpkin (or vice versa). But it’s a good flavor nonetheless.
This recipe turns out two loaves. So you can eat one now, and freeze the other to enjoy later. To freeze, just wrap it in plastic wrap and then foil. Drop it into a freezer zip baggie, and freeze for up to three months. Enjoy!
The Best Banana Bread Recipes:
- Best Banana Bread
- Strawberry Oatmeal Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirled Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- In Your Face Banana Bread
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Banana Bread
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup ground flaxseed powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- One 15-ounce can pure (unsweetened) pumpkin puree
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1¼ cups mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray two 9x5 inch loaf pans with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients through spices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and remaining ingredients. Gently stir in the dry ingredients just until the dry mixture is incorporated (don't over mix).
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool the pans on wire racks for 20 minutes, and then gently turn out the loaves onto wire racks to cool completely.