You always have those aging bananas ready to draw fruit flies sitting on your counter, so mix those with some ripe and juicy strawberries to try this Strawberry Oatmeal Banana Bread.
I haven’t had a whole lot of “luck” with making strawberry breads in the past as I find that strawberries tend to lose a lot of their flavor in the baking process. So for this bread, I purchased some very special French strawberries from my local farm stand. I asked the guy what the difference was between the $3 and $5 baskets. He had a difficult time explaining how wonderful the French ($5) ones were, so he popped one in my mouth and let me decide for myself. Oooo la la… the farmer was right. Those French people did something to these strawberries that make them in a class all their own. Use the sweetest strawberries you can find for this banana bread!
- all purpose flour
- old fashioned oats
- baking powder, baking soda and salt
- white sugar and brown sugar
- sour cream
- lemon zest
- vanilla extract
- mashed ripe banana
- mashed/finely chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
How to make Strawberry Oatmeal Banana Bread:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
So why not try a new banana bread recipe? This strawberry oatmeal banana bread is delicious! It’s the perfect snacking bread, and it’s a good one to tuck into lunchboxes too.
This is a good, moist banana bread with a slight strawberry flavor. I have a feeling though that if you don’t have really juicy, flavorful strawberries, you might not get much flavor in the bread from your berries. You don’t have to use fancy French strawberries, but keep on the lookout to try them sometime.
Of course you could always try baking this banana bread with raspberries or blueberries or some other kind of berry that you have access to.
Enjoy with a cup of coffee!
The Best Banana Bread Recipes:
- Nutella Swirled Banana Bread
- Best Banana Bread
- Coconut Banana Bread
- Kona Inn Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Snickerdoodle Banana Bread
- Pineapple Banana Bread
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Strawberry Oatmeal Banana Bread
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup mashed/finely chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8X5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the first 5 dry ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugars; beat for two minutes. Add the eggs, sour cream, lemon zest and vanilla; beat until combined. Mix in the banana and strawberries. Stir in the dry ingredients- just until combined. Gently scoop into the prepared pan.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center tests out clean.
- The more flavorful your strawberries are, the more they will add strawberry flavor to this bread. I found that French strawberries from my Farmer's market stand worked wonderfully!
- If you're using fresh strawberries, save a couple of extra ones to slice thinly and place on top of the batter before baking. You'll get a nice visual on top of your bread.
- Check in the middle of baking, and if it's browning too much on top, gently set a piece of foil on top of the bread to keep it from browning further.
- If you're counting WW Points be sure to use reduced fat sour cream in the recipe.