Sometimes served as a side dish, Baba Ghanoush is an Arab dish of eggplant mashed and mixed with various seasonings. Grilling the eggplant for this dip softens the pulp and gives it a smoky flavor.
Yield: 4 cups
Prep Time: 40 minutes
- 3 pounds eggplant (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- parsley and kalamata olives for garnish, optional
- Warm up grill to high heat. Pierce eggplants several times with a sharp knife. Place on the grill and cover. Cook, turning occasionally until blacked all over and eggplant skin is very soft (20 minutes or so). Remove from grill and cool.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise. Scrape the flesh into a colander and let drain. Discard the skins.
- Blend tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper in food processor until smooth. Add eggplant and continue to process until mixture is smooth.
- Scoop into serving dish. Drizzle with good olive oil and garnish with parsley or Kalamata olives.
- Serve with fresh vegetables and pita bread.
- Make sure the tahini has been well stirred.