TUSCAN VEGETABLE SOUP W/ WHITE BEANS & PARMESAN
1 lb package dried cannellini (white kidney beans)
2 Tbs olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 Tbs chopped fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ head green cabbage, cut into ½” pieces
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
4 stalks celery, cut into ½” pieces
3 large carrots, cut into ½” pieces
10 cups vegetable broth
2 medium potatoes, cut into ½” pieces
½ cup chopped fresh basil
½ head red cabbage, cut into ½” pieces
4 medium zucchini, cut into ½” pieces
Six ¾” thick slices 7 grain bread, toasted
1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)
additional olive oil
1. Place beans in heavy large pot. Pour in enough water to cover beans by 3 inches. Soak overnight. Drain beans.
2. Heat 2 T. olive oil in very large pot over medium heat. Add onion, thyme, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add green cabbage, tomatoes, celery, and carrots; sauté 10 minutes. Add beans, 10 cups broth, potatoes and basil. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour.
3. Add red cabbage and zucchini. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes longer.
4. Uncover. Add toasted bread slices to soup and remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
5. Stir in cheese. Divide soup among bowls. Top each serving with ground pepper and a swirl of additional olive oil and serve.
12 first course servings or 6 main course servings
Recipe Source: Bon Appetit
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]